The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Pulled Chicken

Hey guys, had some FANTASTIC smoked pulled chicken last night at a restaurant. I had never even thought about doing chicken that way. I searched the archives and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. The chicken I had last night had light and dark meat, so I assume they were smoking the whole bird.
Anyone care to point me in the right direction on how to smoke some pulled chicken?

Thanks!
Bryan

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

Anything you see about Turkey can be used for chicken. Brining is key. You have to adjust the brine time for chicken though.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

When I do pulled chicken, I do a whole bird that I’ve spatchcocked. Just cut out the backbone, open up like a book, season and smoke till done. To pull it, let it cool just enough to handle, discard the skin and remove the meat from the bones.

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Uploads: 1

I make mine with leftover smoked chicken, I reheat it in a foil pan with some sauce, and it pulls really easy. I brine, I should mention that.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Juggy D Beerman
On the road to being a farker

Yo Bryan, I used to be a big fan of beer butt chicken. I thought it was the most economical way to cook chicken. After the bird was done, I would filet out the breast and leave them whole. I would bone the rest of meat for pulled chicken and package it for freezing. The cheepest (pun intended) price on whole chickens in my area is usually 79˘ per pound. The yield I usually get from a whole chicken or turkey is about 1/3 of the original weight with equal amounts of white and dark meat.

Several years ago, the local store had 10 pound bags of chicken quarters (leg and thigh) on sale for 29˘ per pound. Ten bucks bought me 30 pounds of chicken. What I liked about this was it was simple cooking. No rub, no injection, no marinade, no basting. Just throw the birds on the big smoker and cook them until they are done. I didn't even use a thermometer to check them. I did as my dad taught me years ago. When you can easily move the leg joint and the juices are running clear, the meat is done. You don't need to worry about getting the skin cooked competition style or "non-rubbery" because the skin is discarded from the meat.

After the birds are done cooking, and while the chicken parts are still warm and cool enough to handle, bone the meat. There is one small bone on the leg you need to make sure to watch for. Sometimes part of the wishbone may be in the thigh area too. Throw the meat in one pile and throw the skin and bones in a big pot. Once you are done pulling the meat, you can add what ever rub or seasoning you like. I don't add anything before freezing because I use the chicken in non-BBQ recipes. One pound of chicken will easily fit into a one quart baggie. The yield I usually get on thigh/leg pieces is 30%.

Now that pot full of skin and bones will make some great stock. I just cover the remnents with water and boil it for at least an hour, maybe two. I don't add any spices or veggies, but you can if that floats your boat. When I am done cooking down the stock, I use a collander to strain the bones and skin. I find it best to let the stock cool down before refrigerating it over night. The next day, I remove the grease that has risen to the top of the solution before freezing it in small batches.

The reason I don't cook whole chickens any more is this. The quarters are cheaper to buy and the yield is fairly close to whole birds. If I want white meat to cook, I can get boneless/skinless breasts on sale from any where from 99˘ to $1.28 per pound. The yield on the boneless/skinless breasts is a LOT higher than 33%.

Sorry for the longwinded reply, and I hope some of this helps.

Lager,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
LT72884
Babbling Farker

http://noexcusesbbq.com/recipes/pulled-chicken

There you go!

Unread 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Dang, you beat me to it... I find the skinless thighs (boneless or otherwise) seem to work the best for this. They hold the rub better and the natural juices and moisture make for a nice end result.

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Dang, you beat me to it... I find the skinless thighs (boneless or otherwise) seem to work the best for this. They hold the rub better and the natural juices and moisture make for a nice end result.
I second this!

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
YES! haha jk

I havent seen ya a while on here so i was nervous your recipe was not gonna get posted so i hurried and posted it!

best ever pulled chicken.

Unread 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
YES! haha jk

I havent seen ya a while on here so i was nervous your recipe was gonna get posted so i hurried and posted it!

best ever pulled chicken.
Thanks. You can generally find me in the Woodpile, but I do still spend a fair amount of time lurking here.

We now return you to your regular programming...

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
moda253
On the road to being a farker

I did a bunch of smoked chicken a few months ago. I used thighs per someones suggestion here.

What I did was washed the thighs and pulle the skin up and over to expose the flesh and then used a rub on them. Then smoked them. After that I collected the skin and cut that into strips and fried it and added it back into the pulled chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeb25 View Post
Hey guys, had some FANTASTIC smoked pulled chicken last night at a restaurant. I had never even thought about doing chicken that way. I searched the archives and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. The chicken I had last night had light and dark meat, so I assume they were smoking the whole bird.
Anyone care to point me in the right direction on how to smoke some pulled chicken?

Thanks!
Bryan
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys!

I can't wait to try this!

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Arlin_MacRae

At the Winter Blues & BBQ for the troops up in NE last year we did something like 125 pounds of chicken quarters. No brine, no injection, just cooked on a big farking Spicewine and pulled into pans. I think the magic temperature was 185°, internal, and we were pullin' fools.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote