The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fundraising comes to an ABRUPT end..

As I have mentioned in the past we were doing fundraising for Sams Club for their MDA and CMN charities. Sams has been providing food and the grills we have been cooking on as well as anything else we have needed. Well this past weekend we had a Health Inspector shopping at Sams and of course saw our setup and thought we were out vending food for ourselves and raised a stink about it an shut us down even though it was a charity event and we made notrhing monitary from it. We now have to get a vending license and go through all that red tape before we can resume our operation Really bummed me out but I guess rules are rules so we will do it right.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Really sorry about that Alan. Unfortunately, red tape is the name of the game, aaarrrrgh!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

In Virginia you can get temp permits for the day and pay $40 for the permit. They will let you pull I think up to 5 per year without using a HD kitchen. You might check to see if it is that way in GA
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a bummer Alan, although it may end up opening up more opportunities for you down the road.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry to hear about that Brother. We heard of a similar situation that happened a few years ago. We ended up each getting certified as food handlers and got our vending permit. Cooking is my preferred volunteer work, I'd be really bummed to get shut down like that.

Get it sorted out and come out twice as big!!
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Just a temporary setback I'm sure.

In North Carolina, we get a "Temporay Food Establishment - Vendor Exemption Letter" that states that our organization is "a tax exempt or non-profit organization that only sells food for up to two consecutive days once a month."

Gets around the permitting requirement for us to hold fundraisers for the church.
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote