喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
bbqbull

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default New type of Jalapeno Pepper

Anybody else heard of this?

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/19...-of-jalap.html

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.
Founding member of Operation Bbq Relief.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Nope. I think I'd still prefer regular Japs, but it's interesting
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list

Last edited by Stoke&Smoke; 01-21-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
cubs204
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

Yeah, its hard enough to find japs with heat now anyways. Ill pass on the even milder versions
cubs204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Brought to you by the same people that gave us tomatoes with no flavor.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I think I is a good idea for those of us that have burned out our insides. And I just got a deep fryer for Xmas that I an dying to try out.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Uploads: 1

Well, it's the first I have heard of that specific one...but I first started noticing a great deal of mild peppers several years ago and learned of the TAM pepper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAM_Mild_Jalape%C3%B1o

To me, this explained why so many jalapenos I found at the store were not very hot, particularly the poppers at most restaurants. Still though, every now and then I run across one and it is BLAZIN!

I guess this just goes to show that there is enough demand for mild jalapeno-flavored peppers that they are still making other varieties. I don't think it's a bad thing, I eat peppers for the flavor, not the heat, I just put up with the heat to enjoy the flavor. If that flavor could be tapped with less heat, I think that is a good thing. Can you imagine some of the great flavors you could make if habanero's were really tame? You could make a dish that primarily focuses on the flavor of a habanero and serve it to a much broader audience of people who could enjoy it.

I'm sure there are some sort of chile head purists out there who think the heat is crucial to enjoying peppers for some reason, and they probably disagree with me...but heat is not a flavor...it is the bodies reaction to a substance telling you your body would be happier without it. The heat was an evolutionary response by the plant to prevent animals from eating the fruits of the plant. It has nothing to do with the flavor or potential enjoyment of the fruit. It would be like growing poison ivy because you like ivy vines, and being opposed to a breeding program that gave you the plant without the irritating properties.

Just my opinion of course.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I have no one that I cook ABTs for that will accept full Jap...heat.

I split them into "boats" and totally de-vein and de-seed them to make them a hit with my friends and family.

These hybrids might be just the ticket for me.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

It would be nice to get a more consistent jalapenos.For ABT's or salsas I get a real swing of hot from the same bin at the grocery store.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
zwylde1
Full Fledged Farker

I always plant several varieties of peppers each spring and they blow the store boughts away in both taste and heat. But then in the winter I am doomed as well to the taste and heat swings as well. Funny thing happened last year. I had a jalapeno planted next to a habenero and I swear some of them cross polinted because I had several red jalapenos that were very hot!
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Wampus

Haven't heard of this particular hybrid, but I have grown "mild jalepenos" before in the garden. I was actually suprised that they had NO heat at all. Tasted like green peppers.

Personally.....I think when they started genetically altering foods in general to get bigger, shinier, fatter, juicier, etc. they screwed up. Who even knows if the fruits and vegetables we eat now are really what they are supposed to be. Slippery slope as they say.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
bigabyte

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Personally.....I think when they started genetically altering foods in general to get bigger, shinier, fatter, juicier, etc. they screwed up. Who even knows if the fruits and vegetables we eat now are really what they are supposed to be. Slippery slope as they say.
I tend to agree with you on the genetically modified aspect...although I am fine with cross-breeding, which both of these jalapenos seem to be. It is a natural progression, just cross pollinating plats that could naturally cross pollinate if grown in a garden together. But, I could be wrong in my beliefs on both counts!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
billm
is One Chatty Farker

I grow the biker billy hybrid jalapenos from burpee..extra large fruits and plenty of heat..

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/pep...rod000802.html
Brinkmann Cimmarron Offset
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Teleking
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
several red jalapenos that were very hot!
It is possible for them to cross pollinate as I had some spicy jalapeno looking bell peppers one year but it’s not the reason they turned red.

Jalapenos will turn red if left on the vine for an extended growing season.

Cheers
Teleking is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
zwylde1
Full Fledged Farker

They were not on the vine too long for sure. I use them up as fast as they can grow.
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
landarc

If it is from the NMSU program, I am willing to give it a try. I have grown various types of jalapenos and the moderate heat ones have some value. It appears that they may have created one that has higher disease resistance which would be a plus.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote