The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First try at Paella

I decided to try out a couple of toys for the first time: a 14" stainless steel paella pan and a lump reducing ring from the Ceramic Grill Store. The diameter of the ring is approximately 14" so it matched up nicely with the size of the pan and saved me from filling up the entire firebox of my XL Big Green Egg.

Here's the ring loaded up with lump:

and our first ever attempt at paella (we've only tasted one once before!):

Unfortunately, I have a seafood allergy so we mostly went with ingredients that we saw fellow brethren OakPit use at a paella demo at an Eggfest: Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, sausage, onions, green & red bell peppers, garlic, peas, parsley, and spices including saffron.

With the exception of the chicken breast being kind of dry (may go with dark meat next time), the paella was pretty tasty! I think I have more to learn about the rice as I think it could have soaked up a little more chicken broth. I'm not sure how well the soccarat came out. Coming off the pan it looked dark like it was burnt but it didn't taste burnt.

Any input from paella experts is welcome! I'm hoping to improve my future paellas before moving up and trying my 18" pan.

The lump reducing ring worked great! I had no problems generating enough heat to cook around 375-410 degrees.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking good!
Great Phirst attempt!

Don't know for sure but I heard that a good paella has to be a little bit burned on the bottom.

Padawan and me have tried our Phirst paella not too long ago... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95438

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Looks dang good from here!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
LT72884
Babbling Farker

i like that idea with chicken and sausage better than seafood. looks good man.

Unread 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
gtr

Downloads: 2

Looks great - nice pix and a great choice of dish!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
caseydog

Downloads: 1

I love Paella, and have spent a lot of time in Spain, where I've had some awesome Paella.

I was a bit caught off balance when I saw your Paella without seafood, but I understand the reason.

The difference between good Paella and mediocre Paella is the rice. If you get the rice right, you have the game won. I love the seafood, but the rice is the element that makes or breaks a Paella.

Here in the states, the best Paella I have had was at The Versailles restaurant on Calle Ocho in Miami. I ordered the Cuban Roast Pork, and my girlfriend had the Paella, and we shared. Both were outstanding!

For future reference, you can do the seafood separately, and add it to the dishes of your guests, and leave it off of your plate. That way, everyone can enjoy your Paella, and you don't risk a trip to the ER.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I love Paella, and have spent a lot of time in Spain, where I've had some awesome Paella.

I was a bit caught off balance when I saw your Paella without seafood, but I understand the reason.

The difference between good Paella and mediocre Paella is the rice. If you get the rice right, you have the game won. I love the seafood, but the rice is the element that makes or breaks a Paella.

Here in the states, the best Paella I have had was at The Versailles restaurant on Calle Ocho in Miami. I ordered the Cuban Roast Pork, and my girlfriend had the Paella, and we shared. Both were outstanding!

For future reference, you can do the seafood separately, and add it to the dishes of your guests, and leave it off of your plate. That way, everyone can enjoy your Paella, and you don't risk a trip to the ER.

CD
I think I need to taste some more paella to get a better idea of how the rice should taste. I did use bomba rice so it at least looks like I have the right stuff.

Good point on adding the seafood separately or I suppose I could just add some to one side or use something that I can easily pick out. My allergy isn't so severe that I swell up but the last time I had fish tacos I got a nasty rash and itched for over 2 weeks.

Thanks CD!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Good looking Paella there : )

I personally like Paella with chorizo and chicken and no seafood - cook the chorizo in a little Spanish EVOO until it renders out it's oil and then use this to gently fry the onion, garlic, chicken and rice so each grain is completely coated in oil and then add the the saffron stock a little at a time, stir in, add more, stir in etc.
It comes out with full, slightly al dente but soft grains of rice with a little creamyness
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
lauras231279
Got rid of the matchlight.

Having a paella without seafood is very common in Spain. We lived there for a while and outside of the touristy areas, most paellas don't contain any seafood. Commonly they use rabbit or chicken, plus a whole gamut of other ingredients - snails etc. So you're not doing anything wrong!
lauras231279 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
landarc

It looks right and very good to me John, I was just checking my PM's thinking Groundhog and I must have missed the invitations

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
chambersuac

Looks great. I'd hit it.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It looks right and very good to me John, I was just checking my PM's thinking Groundhog and I must have missed the invitations

We sure did

Looks great John, I bet it was tasty even without the seafood

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great to me. How long did you stare at the price tag on the tiny bottle of saffron while trying to think of ways around it?

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time Zero Member

Try the Throwdowns - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd hit that hard. Great job.
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Looks good to me I would definately want to hit that. That is on my I got to try list
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote