עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #121
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Ok, here we go, My Thai Chicken Pie. Full thread here...

Chicken on the BS Keg:



Chopped and present with other requisite ingredients:



After spending some more time on the grill:



On a plate, ready to consume:



I have one of those pictures with fingers and a bite removed (from the pie, not the finger) but my hand aren't as photogenic as BBQ Grail's so I'm not going to show it here. Use that last shot for my entry.
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #122
Gore
Phizzy

 
Gore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-08
Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Not only is it beautiful, but it is also edible!

Great work!
__________________
Assistant to a Mad BBQ Scientist (and a squirrel): Primo Oval XL, Small Offset, Gasser, Optigrill, UBS
"I love everything about the pig, even the way she walks." -- Spanish proverb
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #123
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
bigabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-06
Location: Overland Fark, KS
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1
Default

Very nice!
__________________
Asshattatron Farkanaut, CGCFO
Chief Galactic Crockpot Foil Officer
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club



Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #124
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Join Date: 09-07-10
Location: Chicago, IL - West burbs
Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default

oh fark. Like aways, I see an entry (in this case it was Larry's) and think that this is a done deal and no one else need enter, then along comes another entry and it starts all over... This is going to be a tougher challenge than I thought.
__________________
-Ryan

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #125
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
deguerre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-15-09
Location: Memphis, TN...Formerly of Decatur, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Simply put, outstanding Paul. Even if you did steal a couple of my ideas. Are you channeling Larry?
__________________
Guerry >^..^< Pit Beeatch for Team Munchkin
Avatar by Northwest BBQ
I took the Art History Comps, and Passed on the first try.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #126
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Simply put, outstanding Paul. Even if you did steal a couple of my ideas. Are you channeling Larry?
This is what happens when others swipe my ideas and post first. I'm forced to be more creative and come up with something different. Trust me when I say I really wanted to make a pizza.
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #127
Gore
Phizzy

 
Gore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-05-08
Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
oh fark. Like aways, I see an entry (in this case it was Larry's) and think that this is a done deal and no one else need enter, then along comes another entry and it starts all over... This is going to be a tougher challenge than I thought.
Never, ever think that these things are decided. I don't know how many times I've seen a great entry and everyone responds to it fabulously, but when it comes time for the voting, it just doesn't do well and something that was almost ignored wins.

The entries for this have been very interesting and unique, and I'm really curious to see what will happen. I don't think it's decided by any stretch though and I don't think there is a favorite, not even Larry's. The reason is that he made what I would classify as a dessert and usually desserts do not score well when put up against entrees. I remember Shiz once entered the most delicious cheesecake I ever saw (except for my wife's) and got just a few votes. There are a lot of carnivores on this site who would rather have a hunk of meat than a fancy dessert and they vote that way. Don't think it's over. The voting is almost always a surprise. Despite all our whining and complaining, this is a great throwdown, and it's only just getting going. I want to see more, please!
__________________
Assistant to a Mad BBQ Scientist (and a squirrel): Primo Oval XL, Small Offset, Gasser, Optigrill, UBS
"I love everything about the pig, even the way she walks." -- Spanish proverb
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #128
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: Saint Leanders Parish, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I have to say, if there is any flaw with Larry's entry, it is the hunks of 'meat' he used.
__________________
The SS Platypus, sails again, to the support of the Vets!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #129
goro25
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 08-10-10
Location: So Cal
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
This is what happens when others swipe my ideas and post first. I'm forced to be more creative and come up with something different. Trust me when I say I really wanted to make a pizza.
Sorry, that's why I entered early. If someone beat me to it, though, I was going to go in this direction...Yours looks awesome, though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb#p/u/14/w39j0IuXQ78
goro25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #130
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Hey Zydecopaws! Who did you get to take your pictures?
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #131
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goro25 View Post
Sorry, that's why I entered early. If someone beat me to it, though, I was going to go in this direction...Yours looks awesome, though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb#p/u/14/w39j0IuXQ78
And it looked good enough to persuade me to do something else. Even if mine had turned out as good, we likely would have split the pizza votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Hey Zydecopaws! Who did you get to take your pictures?
Amazing what happens when you get a new camera for Christmas and then spend some time learning to use it. Oh, and using Gore's recommendation and taking LOTS of pictures from all angles...
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #132
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
SmokinAussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-19-09
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Maybe I was too scared to enter......

Nope, going fishin'... really!
__________________
Aussie Lamb Farker Awardee!
Show me smoking and grilling LAMB for an ALF Award!
Resurrected for 2014: PM me if you've posted grilling or smoking LAMB in QTalk!
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #133
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Never, ever think that these things are decided. I don't know how many times I've seen a great entry and everyone responds to it fabulously, but when it comes time for the voting, it just doesn't do well and something that was almost ignored wins.

The entries for this have been very interesting and unique, and I'm really curious to see what will happen. I don't think it's decided by any stretch though and I don't think there is a favorite, not even Larry's. The reason is that he made what I would classify as a dessert and usually desserts do not score well when put up against entrees. I remember Shiz once entered the most delicious cheesecake I ever saw (except for my wife's) and got just a few votes. There are a lot of carnivores on this site who would rather have a hunk of meat than a fancy dessert and they vote that way. Don't think it's over. The voting is almost always a surprise. Despite all our whining and complaining, this is a great throwdown, and it's only just getting going. I want to see more, please!
If you're entering these things because you WANT to win you're screwed from the very start. You've got to do these Throwdowns because it's a fun challenge.

Do I think I came up with an amazing idea? You bet I do. Do I think I'm going to win? Nope, I don't. It was about coming up with flavors and ideas and challenging myself.

Give it a try...
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #134
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker
 
southernsmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-14-08
Location: NS, Canada
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Well said mister grail..
__________________
Southern Smoker-Northern Division!
Lang 84D Longneck
Cookhack
Gone brick n mortar
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #135
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 01-14-09
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
If you're entering these things because you WANT to win you're screwed from the very start. You've got to do these Throwdowns because it's a fun challenge.

Do I think I came up with an amazing idea? You bet I do. Do I think I'm going to win? Nope, I don't. It was about coming up with flavors and ideas and challenging myself.

Give it a try...
Couldn't have said this better. I probably would have given up entering in these a long time ago if I was really serious about winning (because I haven't even come close). It's all about the fun and stretching yourself.
__________________
No Excuses BBQ
BBQ, no excuses! Who cares about the weather?

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Reply

Tags
PECANS ARE PEANUTS TOO, Pick me! Pick me!, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***SPECIAL*** BBQ Brethren "Cook It Like a Brisket" Throwdown! bigabyte BBQ Brethren Throwdowns 106 01-31-2012 07:20 PM
BBQ Brethren "Summer Hors d'ouevres and Cocktails" Throwdown! bigabyte BBQ Brethren Throwdowns 135 08-17-2011 12:10 PM
Who should pick the category left open by the "Burger" Throwdown? bigabyte BBQ Brethren Throwdowns 32 04-18-2011 10:17 AM
Winner of the BBQ Brethren "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown is... bigabyte BBQ Brethren Throwdowns 16 02-06-2011 03:26 PM
***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown - VOTE*** bigabyte BBQ Brethren Throwdowns 55 02-05-2011 09:44 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.