MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #31
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BBQ QB View Post
Is Damper, well,.....damp? Or does it get damper when you cook it. Or, in emergencies do you plug flues with it? Or does the thought of having it depress everybody? Or do you wear them on your ears at concerts?

This of course in an effort to foster cross border harmony and understanding.

The BBQQB
It's called damper because traditionally, it was cooked on a dampened fire, or basically in the remaining hot ashes of a fire. There's not a lot of difference in the recipe either from the biscuits American cowboys traditionally cooked, to what our stockmen and drovers cooked. Indeed, if you took a Cowboy and a Drover from the 1800's and sent them out on a job together, they'd both be cooking and eating and working pretty much the same way. It's only the terminology that's different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I think cookies and gravy sounds just fine personally.
Me too! Can I have crispy bacon with that?

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #32
deguerre

Oooooooooo! A lime curried smoked chicken and eggplant salad hot pocket! Zero here I come!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #33
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You can use whatever ingredients you feel you need to make a great entry. This could include food, or not. Perhaps you need some other items, it is not for me to judge.

Okay, since there seems to be some issue with 'dough in a tube' (and for the record, I think you are all just being food snobs) we can look at alternates. I do not want to allow making of dough how...

Wait...did I miss something? Is Southern Smoker now One-Eyed Jack or do we actually have two members from Newfoundland?

What if we allow 'dough from a box' if you are in a foreign land and cannot get dough in a tube. I mean, what civilized country does not have 'dough in a tube'. Anyway, yes, you can use other ingredients, but, must use at least the 3 specific ingredients and at least one of the optional ingredients.

Yep it's just me, I'm the only one who has a computer up here & I ain't lettin anyone else climb the pole to use it..

Gore... it's "Newfoundland & Labrador or NL for short" as one province..
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:

Last edited by southernsmoker; 01-20-2011 at 10:50 AM..
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #34
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... no, we don't. We don't have anything specifically called "sausage gravy"... we just have gravy. Also, there is a difference in terminology.
In Australia, biscuits = cookies. The American "biscuit" has no direct translation here. Closest thing is a damper or a scone or a bun. The only reason I know this is because I've seen Brethren cooking "damper" and calling them "biscuits", so I'm used to it.

Cheers!

Bill
SA--- couple of options:

Immigrants from Ireland brought this dish to Newfoundland. "Pratie Oatens" mashed potatoes mixed with oatmeal, formed into little cakes, and fried in bacon fat.

Damper Dogs; stove-top bread made from white bread dough traditionaly fried directly on the damper of the wood stove.

I'll have to get Landarc's blessing's...

Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
landarc

So you changed your name and did not tell anyone? That is not per the rules of harassing and mocking. Like Midnight (sun thingy) Smoker and SirPorkalot, you have to tell us and let us abuse you.

Are you telling me you don't have dough in a tube either? Really? Are Americans really the only ones in all the world that use dough from a tube?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #36
bigabyte

I suspect, but can not yet prove, that Southern Smoker changed his name to One-Eyed Jack as a way to get into the Virgin Throwdown, but the mods didn't get to his request in time due to all of the general jackassery that the mods have to deal with due to winter time cabin fever.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #37
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
So you changed your name and did not tell anyone? That is not per the rules of harassing and mocking. Like Midnight (sun thingy) Smoker and SirPorkalot, you have to tell us and let us abuse you.

Are you telling me you don't have dough in a tube either? Really? Are Americans really the only ones in all the world that use dough from a tube?
Oh yeah we have dough in tubes no prob with that...tofu & eggplant could be an issue just cause we're in the sticks...btw you musta been away when I rehandled myself feel free to get your licks in...
Old 01-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #38
BBQ Grail

I'm going dessert...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #39
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I'm going dessert...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Perhaps a nice key lime chicken and eggplant pot pie? Yeah, that just screams dessert...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #40
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Perhaps a nice key lime chicken and eggplant pot pie? Yeah, that just screams dessert...
Have a little faith my friend. The plan is taking shape...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #41
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Have a little faith my friend. The plan is taking shape...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

I trust you will pull it off, but I don't think I've ever seen chicken used as a dessert item.
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #42
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
I trust you will pull it off, but I don't think I've ever seen chicken used as a dessert item.
You will be amazed with this dessert!

Or Not...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Email me for details.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #43
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Well Bob, it took me a LOOOONNNGG time in Safeway, but I managed to locate dough in a tube. I admit, I did have to ask one of the clerks in the end for help. I did find all sorts of crazy stuff there. Did you know they sell frozen pancakes? Really! I guess I could've used those in the throwdown, but I have plans for this dough!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #44
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Still getting a giant "no" from my wife on this one.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #45
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
but I managed to locate dough in a tube.
Don't let your wife see that stuff in the house, .....Mrs. Homemade Soda Bread Cooked in a Bean Can Over Live Flame might break out in a conniption fit.

Canned dough = eCode Kryptonite
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PECANS ARE PEANUTS TOO, Pick me! Pick me!, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread