The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
fatguyputter
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Good luck Grubby, I don't think you can go wrong with a Yoder Cheyenne. I just got off the phone with Don (one of the owners at Yoder Smokers). He is a great guy. I'm considering one of their trailer rigs for the future.
fatguyputter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

While I am impressed with the quality of build with these smokers, I am not impressed with the salesmen. I was looking at them this year at the state fair because they had a Bandera style. I opened it to inspect the baffle and there was none. I asked the salesman about this and he replied that it didn't need one as the temps were the same all throughout the smoke chamber. I call Bullsheet!! No farkin' way Jose. Who the hell do they think I am? Sheech.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
ique
is One Chatty Farker

I'm thinking about buying one. Obviously they are well built. I'm holding out a bit to hear about airflow and if there is anything buggy about it.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

I am buying a ys-640 and talked to Don today and there are some mods coming to it, that will make it a high temp hero too. Bigdog, you must have not talked to Don, he will tell you temp levels down to the degree on every smoker. That bandera looking one is pretty sweet but nothing like the MOAB.
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
teesquare
Found some matches.

Thought I would chime in, very new to post here but read the site a lot.

i bought the YS-640. It is truly a work of art, I think. I love my old offset smokers of years gone by - but, seem to value my sleeping all night more than I used to.

It was 70F today, little to no wind. I set the pit for 180F. It equalized at 191F on the right and 187F on the left. Firepot is under the left end of the heat deflector.
Used a Maverick ET-73 and set the 2 probes at 4'' in from each end, and in the center fot he grate as measured front to rear.

4 degree differntial stayed constant for 2 hours. A couple of times the temps were 193-189F, but that is good enough for me.

I have never experienced this kind of stability. It is going to take me some time to explore all of the temp ranges this thing can give me.

T
teesquare is offline   Reply With Quote