MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
hmacmill
Got Wood.

Default Brisket Question

I was wondering if you could help me out when it comes to brisket. I have never smoked a whole brisket before. Does the smaller section get dried out while the thicker part gets up to temp? Also, which part is used for burnt ends?

Thanks for your help, Hugh
hmacmill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can think of no better starting place for you than right here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

It helped me tremendously.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
chambersuac

I was gonna reply, but gtr gave you a great place to start.
Have fun with your brisket.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
bigabyte

Don't worry about the thinner part drying out while the thicker part cooks. Briskets do not follow the rules of other beef roasts. In fact, oddly enough...the point, which is the thicker part, will finish to tenderness before the thinner part (the flat) will.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
codger
Full Fledged Farker

This question, and how quick the answers come to help a guy is a really good example why this is the best group (Bbq) on the internet. Thanks to all you guys with the knowhow! It's great!
codger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
hmacmill
Got Wood.

Thank you all for the advice.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I can think of no better starting place for you than right here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

It helped me tremendously.
This is a must read. That being said, I now do mine in an alum pan, injected, at about 250. On my WSM a 13-14 pounder takes about 10 hours.

After 7-8 hours I foil the pan and let her go, and take it off at no more than 205.

Foil and wrap in towels and into the microwave for about 1 hour. Just to keep it warm, not nuke it.

Slice it and enjoy. BWT the point is often used for burnt ends. I think that's a waste of good meat as it is usually the best part.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
hmacmill
Got Wood.

The link was great. The hard part is going to be finding a day where I can spend over 10 hours tending to the smoker. I'm definetly waiting until the weather warms up.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacmill View Post
The link was great. The hard part is going to be finding a day where I can spend over 10 hours tending to the smoker. I'm definetly waiting until the weather warms up.
What kind of cooker are you using? If you have something that can be set once at temp and left alone for a while, you may consider doing an overnight cook.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmacmill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post
What kind of cooker are you using? If you have something that can be set once at temp and left alone for a while, you may consider doing an overnight cook.

Have you seen the UDS thread ?
It will solve many issues you may have.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote