The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #31
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
No deal on any of the Kingsford around here.
As you probably already know, Memorial Day (Independence Day & Labor Day, too) they run specials on Kingsford at the big box hardware stores.

Me, I've worked out a deal with my neighbor. I fire up the smoker and he throws his stuff on it. Not uncommon for me to come home and find a bag of coal on my door step.

Unread 01-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #32
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
As you probably already know, Memorial Day (Independence Day & Labor Day, too) they run specials on Kingsford at the big box hardware stores.

Me, I've worked out a deal with my neighbor. I fire up the smoker and he throws his stuff on it. Not uncommon for me to come home and find a bag of coal on my door step.
Yes sir, and I'll be ready!

Nice neighbor! Mine are all yuppies that seem amused that I love to cook Q.

No soup for them, eh?

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

I'm surprised to see all the "no Cowboy" comments here. I've been using it for over a year now in Bubba Ho-Keg with great results and no issues (other than the occasional foreign object found in the bag or the bottom of the keg at the end of the cook). RO is very hard to find in my neck of the woods, and generally about twice the price. All the monster bags of mesquite lump are all over the place in terms of consistency (size) and I don't particularly care for mesquite flavor with anything other than beef.

I'll be trying other brands this summer (assuming I can find them at a reasonable price locally) but for now I'll stick with the Cowboy.

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #34
brewski
Got Wood.

My son-in-law recently cooked briskets in my uds. When I came home I noticed the Cowboys bag but didn't hink much about it and had not heard anything on how it cooked. After he finished I sampled the brisket. My first and immediate comment was to not use Cowboys again. It was that bad. His technique was good but the Cowboys lump really took away from it. IMO it is hard to beat RO.

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #35
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Neither for me. Only seasoned oak. I start a fire pit next to the smoker then stoke as needed with hot coals. Works best and lots cheaper.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #36
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Just a question but on my walk on I have a stick burner so I have made up a pot that I fill with what ever hardwood I have on hand , it has a small hole to release the gasses, i put it in my burner whenever i cook and at the end of the day
I have beautiful lump, one could use an old pressure cooker for the same results
why then would anyone want to buy mystery wood lump?

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK Allen View Post
Just a question but on my walk on I have a stick burner so I have made up a pot that I fill with what ever hardwood I have on hand , it has a small hole to release the gasses, i put it in my burner whenever i cook and at the end of the day
I have beautiful lump, one could use an old pressure cooker for the same results
why then would anyone want to buy mystery wood lump?

Hi Rick,

I'd say price, and availability. Here in Montgomery County MD, there ain't a lot o' choices. If it goes on sale, I might buy a few bags, just for emergency use, or to make my quality stuff go farther.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #38
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
I'm surprised to see all the "no Cowboy" comments here. I've been using it for over a year now in Bubba Ho-Keg with great results and no issues (other than the occasional foreign object found in the bag or the bottom of the keg at the end of the cook). RO is very hard to find in my neck of the woods, and generally about twice the price. All the monster bags of mesquite lump are all over the place in terms of consistency (size) and I don't particularly care for mesquite flavor with anything other than beef.

I'll be trying other brands this summer (assuming I can find them at a reasonable price locally) but for now I'll stick with the Cowboy.
I don't think that cowboy taste different or burns poorly. But, the two bags I tried had lots of small chips and flakes in it. It seemed like mostly dust and made a mess. The few big pieces were very odd shape, one was like a pencil. The Frontier brand from Lowes had more large pieces, and the Royal Oak seemed to be very uniformly large pieces.

Maybe it is different plants producing it, or maybe it is rough shipping. Don't know. But Cowboy is junk here in Chicago.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #39
brewski
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capozzoli View Post
Neither for me. Only seasoned oak. I start a fire pit next to the smoker then stoke as needed with hot coals. Works best and lots cheaper.
100% agree. On my bigger cooks I only shovel embers from oak, beech, or hickory. Lump is hard on the wallet for those cooks on my smoker at least.
That is not going to work to well on small cooks using the UDS or even grilling. That is when the lump works best.

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #40
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah, thats true. guess most of my smokes are big too. Didnt mean to sound like a snob.

Love the Lump.

I use the lump sometimes for fast small grills like you are saying.

Really small, We do the table top Korean bbq in a make shift cast iron pan grill. Use it for greek lamb kebabs and what not too. Plus the lump gives off much less smoke and makes for more comfortable table top grilling.

Didnt mean to poo poo the lump.

Table top grilling is loads of fun BTW especially huddled around the table of coals on a cool fall evening.

Plus the lump makes for easy refueling without a coal bed.

Maybe gives better heat control at the lower temps too?

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #41
martyleach
Babbling Farker

I use a BGE and lump is the only reasonable option because I cook low and slow. I have cooked 15 hours without a refill on the lump. I am a believer for my style of cooking. But yes, it is more expensive.
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #42
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post

Maybe it is different plants producing it, or maybe it is rough shipping. Don't know. But Cowboy is junk here in Chicago.
I think you are on to something here. I generally shy away from damaged bags and find that some stores always have better-treated product regardless of brand. And from what I understand, some manufacturers (Kingsford comes to mind) have regional differences based on where the product is produced/bagged/distributed. I've used Kingsford for years (first blue bag, now comp) and have always had great consistency and results, while RO (those few times I've used it) has been all over the map in terms of quality.

Unread 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #43
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

To be fair, I have only tried Cowboy twice, and both times were months apart and purchased from different stores. Each time was also to fuel a cheap offset. In both cases, the problem I had was that literally half of the bag (by volume, not weight) was dust or fine particles that could not be used, making the charcoal rather expensive to use in terms of usable fuel per dollar spent. Also, the burn quality was undesirable for me, in that it burned very quickly, and produced a lot of sparks throughout a great deal of the burn. Even so, it was usable, and I did cook with it. I would just prefer to buy any other brand is all. So, I suppose this might work for some if it's their only option, or perhaps there are regional differences like has been recently mentioned, but since I have so many better options here, I would never recommend Cowboy because there are so many other brands of lump I have used that I have had far better experiences with.
3rd Degree Crockpot Ninja
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #44
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
To be fair, I have only tried Cowboy twice, and both times were months apart and purchased from different stores. Each time was also to fuel a cheap offset. In both cases, the problem I had was that literally half of the bag (by volume, not weight) was dust or fine particles that could not be used, making the charcoal rather expensive to use in terms of usable fuel per dollar spent. Also, the burn quality was undesirable for me, in that it burned very quickly, and produced a lot of sparks throughout a great deal of the burn. Even so, it was usable, and I did cook with it. I would just prefer to buy any other brand is all. So, I suppose this might work for some if it's their only option, or perhaps there are regional differences like has been recently mentioned, but since I have so many better options here, I would never recommend Cowboy because there are so many other brands of lump I have used that I have had far better experiences with.
I would be lying if I didn't say I'd run into the dust and/or fine particle thing on more than one occasion; that's why I am a bit pickier on grabbing the bags off the shelf. I intend to try some other brands this summer when more variety appears in the stores again, and if I find one I like better than Cowboy (price, burn quality, ash production, extra goodies in bag) I will happily switch brands. In the meantime, I've got a stash in the garage that should keep me going for awhile and will need to be used up regardless...

Unread 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I use a BGE and lump is the only reasonable option because I cook low and slow. I have cooked 15 hours without a refill on the lump. I am a believer for my style of cooking. But yes, it is more expensive.

royal oak and bge are the same stuff (in case there is a price difference). (you may already know this. forgive me if you do.)

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is online now   Reply With Quote