The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
AZScott
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Lately for my practice cooks I've been using Costco flats and points from Ranch Market (a Hispanic grocery store). I don't see any difference with them being separated and coming from different packers.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Besides really liking the leftovers, I'm suprised nobody yet mentioned the price.

Around here anyway, flats can be two, sometimes three times the price per lb. Seems silly to pay a butcher that much for making a cut you can make yourself, should you want to
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
Besides really liking the leftovers, I'm suprised nobody yet mentioned the price.

Around here anyway, flats can be two, sometimes three times the price per lb. Seems silly to pay a butcher that much for making a cut you can make yourself, should you want to
Where I buy my flats is usually about double the cost of whole packers. But one difference is I usually only trim less than 8 ounces of fat from a flat, but the last few packers I must have trimmed at least 2 pounds of fat from each.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
I cook flats all the time, but it is only for home consumption or friends. The one time I tried to make burnt ends with the point from a whole packer, I wound up with a pan full of doggie treats. I couldn't even chew them, lol.
I am not understanding this at all... is there a terminology error? Not being disrespectful but if you need help making burnt ends from the POINT, which is the proper cut to make them from... this is the right forum.

Unread 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I am not understanding this at all... is there a terminology error? Not being disrespectful but if you need help making burnt ends from the POINT, which is the proper cut to make them from... this is the right forum.

WHAT??? say again donnie??

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I cook flats all the time, but it is only for home consumption or friends. The one time I tried to make burnt ends with the point from a whole packer, I wound up with a pan full of doggie treats. I couldn't even chew them, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I don't think I made a terminology error, I did make the burnt ends from the point. It was mainly an unsuccessful cook overall, it was the first time I used my new Traeger and I just didn't cook everything long enough. I have just never made another attempt, because I prefer to eat the slices I get from the flat. That is the main reason I cook flats most of the time. I do like burnt ends, but really like a good, moist, tasty slice of brisket. Just like some people would rather eat a Sirloin steak than a Ribeye.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post

Tru-dat...flats are 3.49-3.99 per lb at the business Costco...choice packers are 1.99 per lb...no brainer! I don't mind a little trimmin"...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #23
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewed Q View Post
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out, does it help the moistnees of the flat cooking a whole brisket.
yes it does
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
thillin

I've had good success either way. Stuck with packers. Best luck with flats were larger flats with a bit of the point left on.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I don't think I made a terminology error, I did make the burnt ends from the point. It was mainly an unsuccessful cook overall, it was the first time I used my new Traeger and I just didn't cook everything long enough. I have just never made another attempt, because I prefer to eat the slices I get from the flat. That is the main reason I cook flats most of the time. I do like burnt ends, but really like a good, moist, tasty slice of brisket. Just like some people would rather eat a Sirloin steak than a Ribeye.
Ahghh I assumed that if someone could not make a set of mock burnt ends with the point then maybe they might be using a flat and think its a point.

Okay... then listen to the forum closely. They can advise you how to make mock burnt ends very well using the point. Its quite easy. But you really need to cook the point in while first.

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
Big George's BBQ

I have always used really nice flats. Unfortunately my Brisket needs a lot of work. That being said I have also missed out on having burnt ends. Will have to look into doing whole packers
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

OK, Donnie, you made me look to see why the you called burnt ends made from the point 'mock' burnt ends. For those who haven't spent time reading up on them like I just did, 'traditional' burnt ends were made from the side trimmings of the brisket, but they were so good - and so few could be made from a brisket - they started using the point so they could make more. Interesting. You learn something every day!

Arlin

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #28
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Packer, fat is flavor and a packer has a lot of fat

Unread 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

If I want packers, I have to order from a butcher. No one carries them except Wal-Mart and they are Select and they don't always have them. Sam's usually has 7-9 pound choice flats, so that's what we've gone to. We did packer's for a while, but changed last year because that's what was available. Packer's from a butcher is more expensive than flats at Sam's. Same quality - usually same brand.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote