The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
I know you do not intend to eat any meat that is rotten or spoiled but I was just wondering why you are cooking it unless you were hoping that by cooking it the ranciod bacteria might be destroyed and it might be edible for your dogs or human consumption, again I cannot answer this question but appreciate the thread.
Who's on first?

Yes.

What?

No, he's on second....

Here is the play-by-play, as I read it. OneHump opened a cryovac butt, and it stunk. The meat is safe, and perfectly consumable, but it triggered a purely hypothetical question in his head -- a "what if" kind of question.

So, the butts OneHump actually smoked were not rancid, or otherwise unfit to cook and eat. The rancid butts exist only in his enquiring mind.

Did I get this right, OneHump?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
OneHump
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Who's on first?

Yes.

What?

No, he's on second....

Here is the play-by-play, as I read it. OneHump opened a cryovac butt, and it stunk. The meat is safe, and perfectly consumable, but it triggered a purely hypothetical question in his head -- a "what if" kind of question.

So, the butts OneHump actually smoked were not rancid, or otherwise unfit to cook and eat. The rancid butts exist only in his enquiring mind.

Did I get this right, OneHump?

CD
Ah man, thanks, it's driving me crazy. I need to learn how to articulate my posts better the first time. Folks aren't reading my corrections.

Thanks for clarifying.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
coachop94
Knows what a fatty is.

I think I know bad meat when I smell it no matter how it is packaged. Any meat or fish that smells "bad" to my sensitive nose goes back to place of purchase for a refund. I try only to purchase meat I can test smell before I buy it. Needless to say most of what I buy is purchased at a meat counter with a person there that can facilitate my "sniff" test.

Unread 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Cryovac'd meat often has a bit of a "funk" to it. Not always, and sometimes a bit worse than others. It can also give the meat a bit of a slimy texture. I always rinse in cold water and sometimes if there is extra funk, will rinse in white vinegar, and then water. The vinegar seems to cut through the funk, and then after rinsing the vinegar off I can tell if the meat is truly bad or not.

But ya, once meat goes bad it can create toxins that are very harmful, beyond the bacteria that gets killed off in cooking. Think botulism.

Unread 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
OneHump
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
Cryovac'd meat often has a bit of a "funk" to it. Not always, and sometimes a bit worse than others. It can also give the meat a bit of a slimy texture. I always rinse in cold water and sometimes if there is extra funk, will rinse in white vinegar, and then water. The vinegar seems to cut through the funk, and then after rinsing the vinegar off I can tell if the meat is truly bad or not.

But ya, once meat goes bad it can create toxins that are very harmful, beyond the bacteria that gets killed off in cooking. Think botulism.
Awesome info, thanks Adam. I always say that Google knows all
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
jestridge

There are some effects of using Cryovac packaging, but we believe these are far outweighed by the advantages. Specifically, the meat will change to a darker red colour while in the packaging due to the lack of exposure to oxygen. The meat will also sweat while in the packaging and this can result in an unpleasant smell when you first open the packaging (this is not an indication of the freshness of the meat). To overcome both of these effects, all you need to do is when you’re ready to eat your meat, simply remove it from the packaging and leave it out for 10-15 minutes. When out of the packaging and exposed to oxygen again the meat will return to the usual red colour. Once you’ve removed the meat, simply rinse out the bag and throw it in the bin and the smell will disappear too.T
THIS ARTICLE CAME FROM THE CRYOVAC COMPANY
jestridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
jestridge

Well about eating rotten meat the Inuit people does eat rotten flesh also other tribes, I suppose this would be a practice we have to get use to. But then again the Inuit doesn't eat store chicken that have ben bath in fecal matter.

Unread 01-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #23
Boshizzle

Most cryovac meat that I buy smells bad as soon as it comes out of the cryovac. But, after rinsing the meat it washes off the bad odor. If it stays after rinsing, I get concerned.

While you can boil rotten meat long enough to kill all the bad stuff, why would you unless you were desperate to eat and there wasn't anything else available?
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
jestridge

I bet it would be tender I wonder if we ate a buzzard if it would make us sick.

Unread 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #25
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

I bought a few cryovac pork butts on Christmas.They had some what of a smell to them but not overpowering.I qued them up and they were great.Not a bite left and no complants
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote