The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
Redwingsfn31
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Neither.
There may be some friendly competition amongst the cooks.
All of the food we cook is given away.
We do it to bring something good to folks that don't get a lot of good, and to show the love of Christ.
I use it as an opportunity to teach my kids how to serve.
As a bonus I get to see a bunch of the Brethren!

Thanks Harbormaster for clearing that up for me. Sounds like a very Honorable thing to do.
Redwingsfn31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #32
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

^^^ what Curt said.^^^

Somewhat like a spin-off from the move "Field of Dreams" - If you build it, they will come.

What Curt has arranged for the previous 3 years... if the meat is there... the cooks will arrive.... and so will the community for serious bbq. The beauty is that people who are from this forum... will pack up their cookers and gear, drive hundreds of miles from surrounding states to cook BBQ for a community benefit. ... in 24 hours.

To arrive, set-up, cook, teardown, clean up, and haul out in 24 hours... is spiritual.
A simple reply answers the question why do we do it? "Because somebody asked"

To see the hundreds of smiles, the stories told, the laughter shared thru the night with the aroma of sweet blue smoke is undescribable and touches everyone to the core.

Thats what keeps me here... to grow... friends, fellowship, and family... with the best bbq around.

Will drive to BBQ!

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #33
Tackleberry
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am new to the brethren but have thrown my hat in the ring and tapped my pit on the on the lid (I told her it was time to serve some good Q for some good people). I hope to meet you guys/gals there.
Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

This was the thread from last years to give you an idea of what it was like...

Announcing a Pretty Good BBQ 2010
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #35
Wampus

WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm SO all in on this!!
After the men's retreat I had this past weekend at my church, I'm STILL got the Holy Spirit leaking out of my ears!!! I'm PUMPED to come and be a part of the fellowship, comraderie, and.....well.......BBQ!!!

I'll have to touch base closer to the event, but I'll offer up any/all of my smokers. I will DEFINITELY be bringing at the very minumum the SSDS and maybe a kettle. If needed, I can also load the OK Joe's Upright stickburner on the trailer as well. If it's like last year's, there'll be plenty of stick burners there too, but just so you all know.

I'm going to talk to my son about it too. He'll be 11 by then and he's the ultimate BBQ asst cook. He's also blessed with a truly kind heart so I think he'd really get into it. It'll be up to him though. I've already mentioned it to him, but we shall see. It will be a plus for him that there will be other boys there his age.

Lookin' forward to it Brethren!
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #36
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm going to open up the "sons" thing to the vineyardMEN, my men's group at the church. For the volunteers, they can bring out their sons with them to help on their shifts.

We're working on shifts like last year, where we have, hopefully, at least a couple of sets of hands per every 4 hours to run whatever errands are needed.

I'm also working on a couple of other things that could become traditions for this.

I'm already thinking of ideas for Saturday. I'm hopeing Bob will be back with a coffee demo, though I'd love to hae Ron come out and show everyone how to roast. :)

Food categories for Saturday and overnight that we're considering:
ABTs of course
Fatties
Chili (to do a bit of a chili cookoff with guys coming out to judge, and then to feed the police that come by during the evening and overnight).

I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm also working on doing a midnight toast with the first annual Pretty Good BBQ ale. I'm going to try making an ale with pecans and ancho chili, with some of the grains roasted over pecan wood. I'll have to sneak that one in. :)

And for the competition categories, we're throwing in a new twist. There will be the onsite judging for taste, but we're going to add a Brethren element to the mix...

I'll take photos of all the entries, and we'll do a PGBBQ Throwdown series for each of the items cooked on the side. The only real rules will be that only those participating in the PGBBQ can enter, but the forum will decide the Throwdown winner for each category.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #37
chambersuac

Curt, do you think you'll be ordering shirts again this year?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #38
chambersuac

I'm really excited for this event this year. I'd appreciate any prayers for me getting the weekend off.

Curt, thank you and your church for doing this again.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]

Unread 01-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #39
cmcadams

I guess there's something not quite right in a pastor calling in sick when he's off having fun instead, isn't there? :)

But, yes, we'll be doing tshirts again. I think they were about $12 last year, and should be the same this year.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Unread 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
I'd appreciate any prayers for me getting the weekend off.
Prayers sent, but.....errrr.........aren't you the pastor? Doesn't that make you the BOSS? (I mean, not THE boss.....that's the big fella upstairs of course) You're in charge of the church, right? Just put a sign out front....."Back on Monday. Pray on yor own."!!

Or....could you have Mrs. Chambersuac act as "subtitute pastor" and just read your prepared sermon???

....just kidding.
....sort of.
....no, really.......kidding. Hope you can make it Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
But, yes, we'll be doing tshirts again. I think they were about $12 last year, and should be the same this year.
You have them for fat guys too?
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #41
cmcadams

Wampus, of course.. I need one to fit, too.

Livefire Whisky

Unread 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #42
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Prayers sent, but.....errrr.........aren't you the pastor? Doesn't that make you the BOSS? (I mean, not THE boss.....that's the big fella upstairs of course) You're in charge of the church, right? Just put a sign out front....."Back on Monday. Pray on yor own."!!

Or....could you have Mrs. Chambersuac act as "subtitute pastor" and just read your prepared sermon???

....just kidding.
....sort of.
....no, really.......kidding. Hope you can make it Dan.

You have them for fat guys too?
Wampus, if only it were that easy.

Yes, I need a fat shirt, too.

Last edited by chambersuac; 01-27-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: got to theological, sorry.

Unread 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #43
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Wampus, if only it were that easy.

Yes, I need a fat shirt, too.
I think they all are sized that way. LOL

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Unread 01-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #44
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

This is why I do it......................the best group of guys I want to spend the weekend with
KCBS CBJ #30390

Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with Warmer
Char-Griller Pro w/ SFB and Mods
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio

Last edited by The Pigman; 07-04-2011 at 07:14 PM..
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #45
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
This is why I do it......................the best group of guys I want to spend the weekend with
We just wanted to save you a doughnut and didn't know where to put it... LOL