MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Default Dry Brisket Question?? Need Help

I smoked a brisket yesterday, fast and high style. It was about 6.5lb brisket that I injected some Red Creek into and rubbed with Montreal Steak spices and garlic salt. I foiled the brisket at 165degrees and squirted with Beef Broth and put some in the foil as well. I pulled the brisket out of the smoker at 200degrees and wrapped in a towel for about an hour. I was dissapointed with the dryness of the brisket even though it pulled apart the way a good brisket does. Any input on why this thing was dry? This is my second brisket cooked high and fast. I love this method as a time saver but need to get down and figure out why is was dry. Thanks for any suggestions or input. Sean

Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Did you go probe at all or just pull at 200?
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I assume you did just a flat, based on the weight. I have found that flats cook so fast using the hot-n-fast method, they do not render as well as a slower cook. I am still trying to figure out doing a flat only cook. The last one I did was the closest to being the way I would like so far. I did not foil and really paid attention to the final half hour or so. I did not do temperature other than to tell when to start probing. Once it felt pretty soft, not as easy to probe as a slower cook, I pulled, panned and foiled. Then put back onto cooker as it cooled, coals going out. After 45 mins, pulled it out and sliced. It was better.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Yea, I probed it in several spots and maybe I should have waited a little longer. It went in pretty easy, but the whole probe didn't make it the whole length of the probe. Should I have let it keep going in the foil? I know its supposed to go in like butta but maybe the whole probe is supposed to go in like butta? Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I assume you did just a flat, based on the weight. I have found that flats cook so fast using the hot-n-fast method, they do not render as well as a slower cook. I am still trying to figure out doing a flat only cook. The last one I did was the closest to being the way I would like so far. I did not foil and really paid attention to the final half hour or so. I did not do temperature other than to tell when to start probing. Once it felt pretty soft, not as easy to probe as a slower cook, I pulled, panned and foiled. Then put back onto cooker as it cooled, coals going out. After 45 mins, pulled it out and sliced. It was better.
I get these flats from a chain store store called Giant Foods sometimes. Often, they're my only option if I want to do brisket. They're rather thin, and not a quality cut, like I'd get from Whole Foods (if they ever had any @ my local store). Being so thin, they easily dry out.

I've found that the injection is crucial (you've really gotta fill it up) and let it sit after for a full day.

Lastly, as you noted, low & slow is the only way, and the BBQ Guru device is critical for me. I keep track of my internal temps as well.

I finally did one I was very happy with a few months ago.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMACK View Post
Yea, I probed it in several spots and maybe I should have waited a little longer. It went in pretty easy, but the whole probe didn't make it the whole length of the probe. Should I have let it keep going in the foil? I know its supposed to go in like butta but maybe the whole probe is supposed to go in like butta? Thanks
I do not punch a 6" hole into my brisket, no, I use the probe for about a couple inches at most. If it is done, it will be soft to the probe pretty quickly. There is another way, you can actually touch the brisket with your fingers, if you are not sensitive to heat, and feel the softness between the grains. Probing is better than using your fingers though.

I am not a fan of foil for a hot-n-fast cook (maybe I didn't say that before). I just think with the heat and speed, foiling adds another wild card to be controlled. As btcg said, if the flat is one of the thinner ones, hot-n-fast may not be the best method...now that I reread your post, what was your temp and what did you cook in? A lot of doing a good brisket, regardless of temperature and time, is getting the connective tissue to render before the meat burns. This can be done in many different ways.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
btcg
Babbling Farker

A water pan is crucial too.

Did you use a water pan, and if you did, did you keep it filled?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Twisted Martini
Knows what a fatty is.

I did one yesterday That was about that size on my BGE and it came out very moist. I put it on at about 300 for 2 hrs, no injection, right out of the fridge, with apple chunks. Once it got to 165 I put it in an aluminum pan with a cup and ahlf of beef broth, a little woostershire and some rub. Back on until about 190 (the egg had cooled off to about 250)
rested it in foil for 90 min and sliced. I didn't trim the fat and cooked it fat side down, if that matters.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
thillin

If it's dry, you're most likely over cooked it. I cook at 300+ and prefer to pan & foil for my best results. To save a cook like this, reserve all the liquid from foiling and dunk or soak the slices.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote