oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Scozy
Found some matches.

Default First brisket for Easter

Got a 15 lb packer that will be prepped per Aaron F. I play music in the clubs on weekends so I plan on starting the cook at about 630pm Saturday on my camp chef smokevault at 225-250 and then go to my gig. I'll have mesquite and pecan chunks in the tray. My wife will monitor the temp until I get home after midnight. I will wrap in foil and bring it inside to the oven at that point and go to bed for a few hours until done at 190 deg.

I'd like to serve no later than 3pm Sunday. Good plan or no? Thanks!
Scozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

No not good you never cook a brisket to a temperature you cook it to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Please don't cook it to temp. PLEASE.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
blazinfire
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
No not good you never cook a brisket to a temperature you cook it to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintHTX View Post
Please don't cook it to temp. PLEASE.
Listen to these guys! I've got several briskets under my belt. I learned from the start to cook it til it probes tender! I personally will use a temp reading as a guide to start probing to check on tenderness. Which the "guide" temp is always 190-195. I've had a brisket probe tender anywhere from 195-207!

Also depends on the meat. Every brisket is different. This is great knowledge to know when cooking your first brisket.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
mikemci
is Blowin Smoke!

Is that how Aaron does it?
Like people said....cooking to temp is like throwing dice.
Good luck!
red Thermapen

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
alecksjaycubs
Full Fledged Farker

^^^What they said! Brisket is NOT like a steak. You're taking an inherently tough cut and trying to transform it. That transformation will happen at a different temp in each brisket you cook. Go by feel and you will be rewarded.
Karubecue C-60, Downeast Beast (Scarlett), Ranch Kettle, '69 Redhead (Jessica), MAK 1 Star #0005, Carson Rodizio, Blackstone Patio Oven, PK Grill
alecksjaycubs is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
Rockinar
Full Fledged Farker

If you go with that plan, I would have a "Plan B" (pre cooked ham) in mind. It's brisket and there's lots of variables. It does not cook to a certain temp. It's done when its done and the only way to tell is by feel. Good luck. Worst case is you can make chop sandwiches or chili out of it. Well.....you can turn it into a crusty meteorite. We have all been there. Each time you will learn something new.

When it jiggles like J-Lo's butt.....it's done.

Last edited by Rockinar; 03-25-2016 at 11:06 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #8
Leftwngr
Full Fledged Farker

Ironic isn't it? All these gadgets, probes and what nots and the best way to tell when your brisket is done is the back end of a plastic fork.

Pitmaker Vault; AZ BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale Grill; Weber Genesis S-330; Blackstone SS 36"; Rec Tec (donated and not forgotten); a bunch of thermoworks stuff.
Leftwngr is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
big_weight
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Scozy, I won't contradict what BD and others say about "tender vs temperature."

We all know that each brisket is different from the next, and each smoker cooks differently. With that said, to address what I believe is your TIMING standpoint, I will share my latest experience, also smoked at 225.

I did a 15# packer in my Kamado three weeks ago. Put it on at 630 pm, wrapped in pink butcher paper at 315 am when it hit 165 and it forked tender at 9am. I put it in a cooler until 11am, took it out and let temp drop to 150, and started slicing at noon. Was my best brisket yet. YMMV

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
Scozy
Found some matches.

Thanks for the info guys, I think it'll be ok if I start checking when it hits 190 then.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scozy View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I think it'll be ok if I start checking when it hits 190 then.
Good plan, I start checking mine every 20 minutes after it hits 190.
Member of "THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"

South Mississippi Brethren Bash - River Party! and sign up to come here http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090d44acaa2ba4f58-july

KCBS CBJ #81419
Thatgrimguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #12
Jboost
Got rid of the matchlight.

Also doing my first brisket for Easter. Thanks everyone for the advice. Plan is to have family arrive at 12 tomorrow. Gonna start tonight let me make sure I've got this clear. Wrap at 165-170. It should come off when it is easy to pierce with a fork?
Jboost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
blazinfire
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboost View Post
Also doing my first brisket for Easter. Thanks everyone for the advice. Plan is to have family arrive at 12 tomorrow. Gonna start tonight let me make sure I've got this clear. Wrap at 165-170. It should come off when it is easy to pierce with a fork?
I would wrap based on color, but in general I wouldn't wrap until it gets above 165. Also I check for tenderness with a shiskabob stick or skewer.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
Pacfanweb
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
I would wrap based on color, but in general I wouldn't wrap until it gets above 165. Also I check for tenderness with a shiskabob stick or skewer.
My first Easter brisket, too. I will do it this way.

Been doing pork butts, ribs and turkey for years....only done maybe 1 or 2 briskets.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #15
Scozy
Found some matches.

Its 2am and been 8.5 hours on the smoke vault holding pretty good around 237. Very cold here in Co spgs and Im about ready to wrap, oven and go to bed for a few hours before probing. Glad I started this early.