The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezer View Post
I would assume that cooking at 150 I would eventually meet my target temp
"Eventually" is the most accurate word you could have used in that sentence.

I'd suggest your cook temp be in the 225-350 range. For lamb I'd probably go 300-325...but that's just me.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
"Eventually" is the most accurate word you could have used in that sentence.

I'd suggest your cook temp be in the 225-350 range. For lamb I'd probably go 300-325...but that's just me.

Yes, that is just you... and half of the forum. Other half says 225-245. That's the fun part.

I am a low and slow guy, but agree with higher heat for the lamb. Just personal experience. YMMV
Hawg Father of Seoul is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hi There Wheezer.

I've got no idea about the Agave wrap but in any case would tend to agree with CG and Ron and the others. As for temp and time, no-one here is wrong. You've got to decide for yourselfwhen you want to eat, and from that when you need to start and add an hour or two for unexpected issues and for resting.

Your Traeger will sit rock solid on your chosen temp, so that's bonus for such a cook.

Critically, you have to decide how well done you want it. If you are not used to lamb and the taste of the fat etc, you might want to take it off at 150+ internal.

If you're like me and still want it fighting back on the plate, take it off at 125-130.

As a rough guide, I did a bone in leg for new years day. I had it on at 225-250 for 7 hours and I pulled it at 160 because it was a VERY fatty leg... (definately not export quality). Rested 1hour using a towel and a cooler before slicing.

As for how you are going to season etc, that's up to you. Hope you can post some pics. I want to see how you go!

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote