The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

There are some non scented hand wipes the Iowa BBQ Society has talked about using to clean your hands of anything in between. Cost is a little more.

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
There are some non scented hand wipes the Iowa BBQ Society has talked about using to clean your hands of anything in between. Cost is a little more.

I have seen some judges bring in wet cloth hand towels in a baggie to use to wipe their hands. The sloppiest category for me is chicken, there is a LOT of sauce used on most of the entries.

I may be hijacking the thread but another pet peeve with sauce on the fingers I have is that when I have table captained I ask the judges not to lick the sauce off their fingers after removing a sample from the box, then reach into the next box. I ask them to wipe the sauce off with a napkin.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I sometimes grab some parsley out of the box to chase away some of the foul meat you'all cook up....
Ed
If its real spicy parsley does a great job. But most of the time Crackers and water is it.

Unread 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

For our contest, we keep unsalted soda crackers & bottled water on the tables. We use the small bottles of water so there is not as much waste. I also set up a judge's lounge in a separate room with a tray of fruit & veggies. This also helps with the palate cleansing.
olewarthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
carlyle
Full Fledged Farker

I use parsley from the turn in boxes. Take some when box is passed around for us to
take our portion to judge out of the box .

It routinely works great. A small sprig will take my mouth back to "neutral" so there is no carryover from one judging sample to the other.

I use some water. That helps some but not as much as parsley. Crackers will fill you up. I avoid them.

At our contest I encourage the use of parsley as a palate cleanser to our judges.

So those of you who put turn in boxes together, know that some of that parsley
helps the judging beyond just being garnish during appearance judging.

This is a great question. Good opportunity for teams to get some insight into the mystery of what happens in the judging area.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #21
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Don't have my judges manual handy anymore, but I know of at least 1 KCBS sanctioned comp that had french bread in place of saltines. Rep didn't have an issue with it

But nothing to drink but water is definitely true. You are also intructed not to use things like wet naps between samples since the scent can interfere with your senses

I've had to resort to a little parsley more than ones also.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
gordo
Knows what a fatty is.

Have seen dill pickles and small cheese cubes used also..Not KCBS

Unread 01-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

At some KCBS contests you see seedless grapes made available at the judging table, but they are to be used between categories only to clear the palatte. Between entries, only saltines and water.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #24
gmholler
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Have seen dill pickles and small cheese cubes used also..Not KCBS
The cheese cubes are to cleanse spicy foods from the palate, but they leave a thin film on your tongue...the pickles take this off. Personally, I like using those better than just crackers & water - I find they do a better job for me. But it's up to the organizer to remember to bring them and many times, you're lucky they remember the crackers. Grapes and carrots work good, too, and you'll see those used lots of times.

At some contests, the organizer will pass out baggies with damp/wet washcloths for the judges to clean their hands with - of late, many judges have been bringing these themselves. These are really helpful, since a lot of times it's a real pain to get up from the judging table, find your way to a restroom to clean your hands, and then find your way back to your seat, all before the next round begins. I've seen several organizers provide a case of those individually-wrapped hand wipes and had to tell them sorry, we can't use those (most are scented and will leave a fragrant residue on your hands - remember, part of a person's experience of the BBQ product is affected by the scent).

I don't know, maybe they're going to have to start giving the judges milk to drink between chicken samples - there have been times when I have been almost SURE all the cooks decided to see who could turn in the spicy-est chicken!

Lynn.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
LT72884
Babbling Farker

WOW, thats alot of info, thanks guys. I have to judge someones rubs and suaces next week so i needed a we bit of guidance on how to cleanse the palate so that i could fairly judge.

Unread 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #26
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

The saltines and bottled water provided at KCBS comps do the job quite nicely. At some, there are seedless grapes too. Over the years I've found I don't have to "cleanse" after every entry -- only the ones that are heavy smoke, hot spice or very sweet or sour. Those aren't bad things, necessarily, just things that tend to "cling".
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote