oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #76
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
Someone get this guy a decent camera! With a clearer photo, I think we could have a winner on our hands.

And to the rest of you. You're scaring me. If it isn't already part of the rules, I think it should be that you have to actually eat what you enter.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #77
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I have a couple days to create my masterpiece.

Probably be my first and last throwdown entry but I am planning on giving it my best shot.
Good luck with the throwdown. But, if there is ever an avatar contest yours wins hands down.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #78
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Someone get this guy a decent camera! With a clearer photo, I think we could have a winner on our hands.

And to the rest of you. You're scaring me. If it isn't already part of the rules, I think it should be that you have to actually eat what you enter.
Truth is, I do have a decent camera... just usually forget to use it. The thing that I think is really strange about that picture is if you really look at it, certain parts look very clear,

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA, 22.5 OTG, mUDS, 2 UDS w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast , & the new White Shadow

Inventor of: 3BGB! , Shigen! , & Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae!
Big Butz BBQ Products
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #79
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
If it isn't already part of the rules, I think it should be that you have to actually eat what you enter.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #80
bigabyte

Ooops...this isn't how to enter a tag...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #81
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I must admit I've been scratching my head over this one. I couldn't really think of anything in a can I wanted to grill or smoke. Luckily, someone I know wanted to make some enchiladas. And oddly enough, we actually had some canned enchilada sauce:

I actually have no idea where it came from, since usually such things are made from scratch. In this case, the can supplemented what was being prepared:

It's amazing how that one can was transformed into nearly four quarts of sauce. It just so happened that since some enchiladas were being constructed, there was a decent amount of carne seca that happened to be lying unattended in the kitchen

And there also were some corn tortillas that were being prepared:

So while someone was doing this:

and this:

I was roasting some Anaheims:

and trimming tortillas:

Uhhh, ... trimming tortillas? Well, that and assembling the ingredients

so that I could layer them in a can. Yes, a layer of tortilla, then meat and cheese and sauce, then another tortilla, then peppers and cheese, then tortilla, ... well you get the idea. This went into the Oval to cook:

I knew that can was going to come in handy. I know that a Hobo probably wouldn't be using a Primo Oval, but I tried to keep as true to the contest as I could. I used parchment paper as this can had a plastic liner inside and I just didn't know how that would cook. I emptied this onto my serving dish, added a touch more sauce, sour cream and cilantro:

I served this with a Scottish ale and definitely feasted on something cooked from the can.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #82
ecode
On the road to being a farker

OK, to set the mood, click on this link, turn up your volume and come right back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5Ot...eature=related

Great! I tried to be as true to this contest as I could. I took "feast of the hobo" to heart and was all set to go dumpster diving, but then figured I could at least look for some cans of things from the pantry. Well, there were some garbanzos that I could easily imagine being the basis for a hobo's feast:

To this, I added a few scraps of meat. Of course I also added some garlic and onions.

To be as authentic as possible, I built a fire in the firepit for cooking purposes. Now in actuality I simmered these in a pot for several hours as this was going to be dinner for the family and I just couldn't fit everything back in that can, but I thought it would be nice to do a single serving in a can as a hobo might do:

A feast is not a feast without some bread. So I made up a couple loaves. The first was a white wheat loaf:

I cooked this in My Oval. I just couldn't see this tasting good being cooked on an open fire, unless you like burnt bottoms and raw insides. The unique shape is due to the fact that the rack was a little too high or the loaf a little too tall.

The second was an Irish soda bread.

I served this up with something tasty to keep a hobo warm on a cold winter night. Here you can see the whole meal:

and here's a nicer shot of what's in that can

Thanks for looking!

MY Primo Oval, Fire Pit, Revolation Chocolate Temperer, Nesco Coffee Roaster,
Bray Coucke Mandolin, 2 KitchenAid Mixers, Cuisinart 14-cup Food Processor, Pie Irons
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #83
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Geez! Took you people long enough!

Great looking entries, as always, from Ecode and Gore!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA, 22.5 OTG, mUDS, 2 UDS w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast , & the new White Shadow

Inventor of: 3BGB! , Shigen! , & Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae!
Big Butz BBQ Products
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #84
deguerre

The Black Bush was an excellent choice for the canned goods.
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #85
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Hobo Pork Ribs (Alton Brown Style) with Hobo Noodles

Right...

Scared you with this photo I think... even though I got no comments... farkers...

but nothing I've seen so far was even close to the experience of opening that can...

Fark me... it stunk like a cheap can of sloppy cat food..

Now, having taking these ribs out of the can, I realised these were already "fall off the bone tender"... Here they are on a plate.

What to do. These things are never gonna survive 2 minutes on my offset.

Solution... farking hot and farkin fast....

SO I lit the chimney...

And once to coals were OK, places a SS grate over the top...

And like Alton with his perfect Steak, Nuked the Pork Ribs...

Then while the pork was "resting", I figured Alton farkin' Brown never did cheap arse Hobo Noodles on HIS Charcoal Chimney!!!

So, now to the plating... I kept to the simple Asian theme here. Chinese ribs, on noodles in a bowl... farkin winner... even for a hobo.... a hobo never ate so good (Plating SHot Below Chris with the Metho for effect!)

A close-up...

Now, here's where it gets interesting.

Never explained this to the wife.

Nope

Just cooked it and served it...

Said NOTHIN!

Then... because it was the next door neighbours wifes 46th birthday celebration today.... laid it on the table.... and Farked off...

Hey babe.. here's something for you... see you over there later...

I get back at 9:30pm... quite Smashed

Wife's in bed asleep.... took this photo!

Sorry, no photo's of the wife in bed... that's my business.

But what you see here is an eaten Hobo Dinner... from the farkin Can!

Plus... a little ingenuity

Cheers Farkers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #86
Gore
Phizzy

Bill, don't take our lack of comments personally. I was going by the rule that if you ignore it, then (hopefully) it will go away. That didn't happen. What you did with that was great. From your last picture it looks like the meat was much better than the noodles. Maybe you should get those from a can next time.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #87
bigabyte

I can't beleive something that good came from that!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #88
Gore
Phizzy

^^^^ truth

Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #89
bluetang

Default Beggars Banquet

Well, there's them days, and there's them good days. This un was a good day. We had really been lucky at the grocery store and was fixin' to eat right nice. Tiny, my friend and bizniss partner for over 6 years, hit the A & P, I hit the Piggly Wiggly. Tiny found a couple of cans of pertaters, and a can of milk. And no dents either! At the pig, I found a half a loaf of Wonder bread and a can of roast beef and gravy! We was a gonna eat good.

See here all the good stuff we got. We's gonna make us open face roast beef sandwiches with mash pertaters n' gravy. All we got to mash them pertaters with is an old see-ment trowel. Now, we did used to have a knife, but Tiny lost it a few weeks back when he got thowed in jail. They thowed him in jail cuz he was standing outside this here store and didn't have no money. Imagine that now. They put him in jail for 2 days, fed him right, and then let him out. He still didn't have no money. I thought I'd try it. I stood by the very same store for 3 whole days. The police passed me a bunch of times and even waved. I wave back, kinda telling them I didn't have no money, but it never worked. Hard ta figger.

We cooked all are stuff on this here stove that we made out of an old gallon bean can.

That see-ment trowel didn't mash too good, sort of more chopped than mashed. Tiny kept sayin' they wuz rustic. He said it was nouveau, whatever that there is.

Well, this here is are banquet! Please use this un for the entry. Tiny got them forks at something called a deli, along with them wet washing rags, pretty nice, huh! We surely have enjoyed visiting but we gots to eat fast cuz we got to catch the 2:18 outta here. Tiny thinks that there is some kinda prize. I keep a telling him there ain't, but ifn' there is we'll be sure ta get ya the proper Western Union when we gits settled in. Thanks fer lookin' and ya'll take care.
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown frier, 1UDS, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

Last edited by bluetang; 01-16-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: sp
bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #90
High Q
Take a breath!

Bluetang, that's a classic.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Boxcar Willy, N8 has nice cans!, Nice set of cans!, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread