The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 01-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Another Scam

FYI - I typically get calls for this same type of order. They usually use an operator that transcribes the message from text to words. I have come to the point that when I get a call from the operator, I just announce to them that it's a scam and hang up.

Anyhow, they are now resorting to e-mails. Here's the latest:

Hello this is Mrs Carla Jenna,

i will like to know if u can be able to make for 250 peoples on the 15th of Jan and it will be pick up in your store by 3pm am going to make the payment with my credit card and the order is for my son wedding is coming up on the15th of Janso i will like to order for Chicken Sandwich and grilled chicken for 250 guest or you can also get me your food meun,and it will be picked up by private shipper service between 3pm on 15th of Jan ,so i can give you my credit card to charge for the payment so let me have the price per person now and the total price altogether now and do u sure you can have it ready for pick up by 3pm and i will like to know if you have handle this type of large order before in your company i will look forward to hear back from you with your full name and store address and phone number and do you accpet all major of credit card for payment, i can be able to forward it to the shipper that will come for the pick up.

Thanks
Carla Jenna

As you can see, their grammar is horrible. But not only that, who hires someone for a wedding without knowing your address or not knowing what's on the menu? They want Chicken Sandwiches and Grilled Chicken. Nice. Anyhow, I just want to give you guys a heads up that these are scams. Not sure how they actually get away with it, but hate to see you guys get scammed.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Typically the credit card is stolen, and they ask you to add a fee for the "third party shipper" to the charge, then give that cash to them at pickup.

The sad thing is this person is usually another mark who has been duped into being the man in the middle. He is supposed to send the cash via Western Union to the con man in his home country of Africa/Russia/etc. It's all about the money - nobody cares about the food, which is often sent to a false address and left to spoil.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

sounds like the same crap that goes on with Craigs List scammers.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

I got one as well in an e-mail. I asked CROCKE about it and he told me what was up. It is nice to have friends on this forum Its funny we work hard enough catering and there are people out there with no morals
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

so...you're not do my suns weding? I donet understud. Eys not scaming eyouz

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->