MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Default Rookie brisket questions...

I got my first smoker a few weeks ago and I gotta say I wish I got one a long time ago. Have done a few rib racks, and recently did my first and second briskets. First wasn't nearly long enough, and the second was better but the people that tested it all said it was a bit tough.

Questions----what's the optimal internal temperature to shoot for? When cutting it, do I separate the 2 parts prior to cutting? If so, how do I tell where the 2 parts divide? Also, generally speaking what's the approximate time per pound for smoking a brisket to achieve really good results?

Thanks in advance.....

BTW---it's a Masterbuilt electric smoker (I know...rookie smoker) and I've had it between 210-220 for smoking.
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

I would recommend going for 195* internal temp, and then adjust from there to get your desired tenderness. Also, if you wrap the brisket in foil at about 160* internal temp, it will expedite the cooking process, and help keep the meat from drying out.

You don't have to separate the two parts, but it makes foiling easier if you do.

For a 15 lb. brisket, it usually takes about 12 hours for me, and I'm cooking at about 250*. The only way you'll be able to figure this out is with practice.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the bark, does wrapping the brisket mess up the bark on the bottom? I tried that with one of them, and the liquids that built up seemed to dissolve some of the bark.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Put the brisket in the foil fat cap down. Then the liquid will be affecting the fat, not the bark.

Also, as far as temp, the ideal internal temp is different for each brisket. Use temp as a guideline only. I generally start testing the brisket by feel at about 185, hoping to catch it at the perfect moment . Use your thermometer probe in several spots. When the brisket is done the probe will slide in with little resistance when the brisket is done.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
habaneromike
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Thanks for the reply. Regarding the bark, does wrapping the brisket mess up the bark on the bottom? I tried that with one of them, and the liquids that built up seemed to dissolve some of the bark.
Just my 2 cents is I cook my Briskets fat side down and wrap fat side down. One I get more bark with the trimmed side up and two the fat keeps the juices from dripping out. I think this comes down to the cooker and the amount of smoke I cook on ceramic cookers or WSM's
habaneromike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

You can unwrap a little early and the bark will set back up. It won't be like if you went %100 unwrapped, but it will firm back up better than if you just kept it foiled until the end.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Default Brisket rub......

Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait to make another one....

One more question---I've used the same rub for ribs and brisket. Anyone willing to share a good brisket rub with this newbie? I'd really appreciate it.......

Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do not use temp to determine when a brisket is done. You will never get consistent results that way. The only way to know it is done is by testing tenderness with a probe. If you must use temp as a guide, start checking tenderness when you hit about 180-185, but do not pull it until it is tender.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait to make another one....

One more question---I've used the same rub for ribs and brisket. Anyone willing to share a good brisket rub with this newbie? I'd really appreciate it.......
If you're looking for a rub recipe, it's hard to beat salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, or just salt and pepper.

For a commercial rub, Plowboy's Bovine Bold or Spicewine Heffer Dust are very good. i also use Montreal Steak Seasoning quite often.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Was looking for a recipe for making my own rub. This helps a lot....thanks!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Default Forgot one more question

In selecting the best brisket from the store (usually Sam's Club), how can I decide which one might yield the best results?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

the more flexible, the better. look for good color as well.

If you want to up your brisket game, this, as far as I'm concerned, is scripture:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

It has helped me tremendously...btw - thanks bigabyte!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post

If you want to up your brisket game, this, as far as I'm concerned, is scripture:

Agreed, bigabytes tutorial is hands down the best one out there I have read, and I have probably read every brisket tutorial/guide there is. In addition, his experimentation with rub ingredients (among other experiments) was truly phenomenal.
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post

Wow.....that is one great thread.....especially for the newbie. I'm sure I will be reading it over and over. Thanks.....I really appreciate it.