The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Walt
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Should I keep my BDS????

I've had my BDS for almost five years (original model) and have have enjoyed many cooks. The last year I've noticed a much more smoky flavor to the foods that no one likes. I've cleaned it out, tried different lump, smoking wood (hickory, apple, black cherry), etc... and it's the same. I eat BBQ out and don't have indigestion issues like I do when I cook on the BDS. I cooked six racks of babybacks yesterday that were a bust. I eat most meat dry (have to stay away from sugar) so I'm torn as which way to go.

I've thought about a WSM or BGE but will I have the same problem? I've got $400 in my setup (weber dome/custom cover/dolly) which I know I'll never see so I'm hesitant to move on to something else and not like it.

What do you guys think??? Pic is from yesterday.

Walt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

If you can't cook food you like on it, I see no reason to keep it. But I would only move on if you feel confident you have explored all solutions. And as far as a BGE or WSM, if you don't get good results it is obviously you that is the problem

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Send it to me for proper disposal

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe a power wash inside, and re-season?
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
LT72884
Babbling Farker

how would a drum change flavor of the meat? is the drum becoming more porous and the old smoke and fat is seeping into the pores and then releases after it heats up?

Maybe clean it and coat it with oil or lard to somehow seal it back up. What are new food grade drums coated with?

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

I'm also having difficulty understanding how the drum could be the problem.

Now, I have known a handful of people who have trouble with food cooked over burning wood. They have stomach aches and other problems I'll leave to your imaginations.

Over time, have you drifted towards more smoke than in the past? I'm taking a wild shot in the dark here, but maybe the "over-smokey" flavor is just plain over-smoking.

I hope you figure it out. I wish I had better input. Maybe some of the pros here will have the magic answer.

But, I'm still not able to wrap my head around the drum changing flavor over time.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

if you do a cook with no added smokewood, do you have this problem?

Unread 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Walt
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the replies! I agree with everyone and I question myself...maybe it's just me and I'm changing??? It doesn't help when other people talk about the strong smoke flavor but maybe they're not used meat cooked over an open fire??

I always use one piece of wood for smoking and they average 2x4". Maybe it's catching fire? Would this cause a bad taste? The wood is a couple years old and is stored in my garage. I leave my lid alone for a few hours at a time to prevent flare ups so I really doubt it's catching fire but I'm trying to figure this out.

As far as cleaning it. It is "well seasoned" on the inside and I scrape the sides and bottom each year. I follow with the torch and then burn a load of lump. It stays in the garage and I try to take care of my stuff so it will last.

Unread 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
caseydog

Downloads: 1

The old wood could possibly be the problem. You want seasoned wood, but not necessarily old wood, from my experience. I've had some old wood ruin my BBQ in the past. I think stuff grows in it, like mold or mildew or other fungus, and makes it create smoke that is less than desirable.

Maybe some of the pros can chime in on the optimum "window" of aging of wood. I only know from my own experience that wood can possibly get too old.

I hope that's the answer, because it would save you some money -- and a rather nice BDS.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Dovid
On the road to being a farker

What does Rocky say? I would think he would be a definitive source for these types of questions having had a long time with his head in drums.
Dovid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Try:

1. No wood
2. Different wood
3. Diffuser

It may be the burnt grease or it may be the wood.
Hawg Father of Seoul is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

What Hawg Father said. I would try those things first, it shouldn't be the drum.
If all else fails, I'm close enough to take it off your hands. JK
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast Red Thermapen

Got butt ? Smoke it !!
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
gtr

Downloads: 2

could you post pics of the wood you're using?
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I agree with everyone and I question myself...maybe it's just me and I'm changing??? It doesn't help when other people talk about the strong smoke flavor but maybe they're not used meat cooked over an open fire??

I always use one piece of wood for smoking and they average 2x4". Maybe it's catching fire? Would this cause a bad taste? The wood is a couple years old and is stored in my garage. I leave my lid alone for a few hours at a time to prevent flare ups so I really doubt it's catching fire but I'm trying to figure this out.

As far as cleaning it. It is "well seasoned" on the inside and I scrape the sides and bottom each year. I follow with the torch and then burn a load of lump. It stays in the garage and I try to take care of my stuff so it will last.

I hate to even suggest this, but before you give up on your BDS, you should try it with a heat deflector, waterpan, claypot base, or anything to make it an indirect smoker. This can be as easy as adding another grate below the thermometer.

Blasphemy in the BDS camp! But looking at yours, it has the bolts on the bottom to support the charcoal basket correct?

You could even try something as subtle as making a smaller charcoal ring and use bolts to support it and move it to one side of the drum and cook your meats on the other side. Yeah, it'll need cleaning more often, but give it a shot.

You also mentioned you tried different brands of lump, but have you tried just using Blue bag Kingsford? You obviously do take good care of your equipment, cuz the BDS looks like new!
I pressure wash my comp WSM's after the season and it wouldn't hurt to do the same on the BDS.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Walt
Found some matches.

Okay, it looks like I have some homework for the next few weekends. I'll start by pressure washing and my usual method. If no improvement, I'll move to some kingsford and wood and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone!