The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Hot Sauce Hoss
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition travel set up

Hey all,

I have a question for you guys and gals that do comp bbq. Wife and i have been bitten by the bug and we are ready to enter some comps, but we were wondering how others travel and get all their smokers and gear to the events. Does everyone have a camper? what do you tow you smoker with? all the questions a beginer would wonder. We have two wsm 22.5 smokers and are staring to get some other items and doh, we don't have a truck or trailer sooooo we were looking for ways to get started. Got any stories to share or suggestions for us???

Thanks ya'll
Hot Sauce Hoss
Hot Sauce Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is how we roll...
We sleep onsite in the trailer after unloading our gear...or stay in a motel.

Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Similar to JD, we haul the smokers in the trailer, then when on site set up a bed & kick the air conditioning on HIGH!!!

Here's the interior right before I bought it with stainless prep table, sink, & shelving.

Here's how I like to set up if I can get 30 feet wide.

This is the culmintation of a few years of competing. We worked our way up from the ugliest smoker out there to pellet burners now to UDS. We also worked our way through quite a few trailers and set-ups. Just start out small with only what you think you will need and build up over time.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
tearl42
Knows what a fatty is.

I wish I had some picts of the way that we started... My wife has a mini van that we packed to the roof with all our gear. This year I have a LANG 84D and my RAM 1500.

A friend of mine saw what we were doing and gave me this piece of advice... "Pack Light... Disposable everything..."
Pitmaster and Owner
[email]tearl@fullmetalbbq.com[/email]
[URL="[URL]http://www.fullmetalbbq.com"]FMB[/URL] Website[/URL]
Backwoods Party and LANG 84 Deluxe
CBJ/KCBS#54886
tearl42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
altomari8868
On the road to being a farker

When we started we had the smoker welded to a 4x6 trailer. Everything else fit in a 2001 Buick century... Still does!!!!!!!!! My point being, you can get as big as you need to. A good book that is an easy read is "Startin the fire". It does a nice job giving you and idea of what you really need to start out...
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

What he said ^^^^
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Our rig is similar to the ones above. !/2 ton pickup and cargo trailer. We had our trailer custom built 6" taller inside and with a couple of windows, an RV screen door, finished walls and ceiling with lighting and rubber coin flooring. It is our prep kitchen during the day and bedroom at night.

Try to go to a couple of comps before you commit to anything. You can probably get by with a rented van or truck for the first couple. You'll see a lot of different setups. Around here campers are common and some folks have trailer pits that they tow behind them. Others tow a cargo trailer behind the camper. You'll also see toy haulers of all sorts, Class C, bumper pull and fifth wheel. It just depends on your budget. We'd love to have a toy hauler to make setup and tear down easier.

I have pictures of some setups in this album...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rclewen/...eat=directlink

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

You never realize haw bad you look on Saturday morning till ya see your self in Rons album.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce Hoss View Post
Hey all,

I have a question for you guys and gals that do comp bbq. Wife and i have been bitten by the bug and we are ready to enter some comps, but we were wondering how others travel and get all their smokers and gear to the events. Does everyone have a camper? what do you tow you smoker with? all the questions a beginer would wonder. We have two wsm 22.5 smokers and are staring to get some other items and doh, we don't have a truck or trailer sooooo we were looking for ways to get started. Got any stories to share or suggestions for us???

Thanks ya'll
Hot Sauce Hoss
You can do a comp with your 2 22's...pork butt and brisket on one...chicken and ribs on the other. A kettle grill would be helpful for setting glazes and such. You can also enlist the help of family and freinds to help tote all your stuff...just feed them well! As mentioned above...check out a few local comps to see how other folks roll.

Good luck...and most important...have fun!
Northwest BBQ Society
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Bigdog

Depending on the weather, some sleep in cots or zero grav. chairs outside while others sack out in the pick up truck, both front seat and bed. Now if it were me and I really wanted to comp cook a lot, I would get a combo toy hauler and RV set up like Andy and Kim.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz View Post
You never realize haw bad you look on Saturday morning till ya see your self in Rons album.
Sorry

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We started with a couple of WSMs and just threw everything in the car. We were so afraid of missing stuff, we brought too much. (Fair warning: now we have an RV, 3 Trailers, 5 smokers, and 3 grills. One comp this year also included a 24' pirate ship. It's a sickness.)

I would suggest doing a practice cook outside. Leave all your stuff in the house, and as you need it, go get it. Anything you didn't need from the house you won't need in the competition either. Less is more, especially when you are trying to pack up in a downpour.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce Hoss View Post
Does everyone have a camper?
what do you tow you smoker with?

Thanks ya'll
Hot Sauce Hoss

Very few folks actually have campers. Sure, a few do but most don't.

Tow vehicle: whatever you got that'll do the job. Cars and vans will work, although you probably need to look into a hitch w trailer or hitch-hauler (you can probably borrow some of that stuff)

You can nap in the car or in a comfy chair or on a cot. Maybe it's me, but I like to bring earplugs.

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
We started with a couple of WSMs and just threw everything in the car. We were so afraid of missing stuff, we brought too much. (Fair warning: now we have an RV, 3 Trailers, 5 smokers, and 3 grills. One comp this year also included a 24' pirate ship. It's a sickness.)

I would suggest doing a practice cook outside. Leave all your stuff in the house, and as you need it, go get it. Anything you didn't need from the house you won't need in the competition either. Less is more, especially when you are trying to pack up in a downpour.

Outstanding idea!
Northwest BBQ Society

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Sorry

Tats oK I would like to have more days like that !
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote