Testing My Home Build Smoke Generator..

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
I decided to build a prototype smoke generator for my BUFORD UDS's. I don't plan on doing any cold smoking, (yet) but just want to control the smoke during the first couple of hours of BBQ'ing.

With the BUFORD side access design I could easily pull out the basket and add chips if if needed, but why bother? I'm bored.

So I built and tested a new smoke generator. Works great but I haven't done any long term smoking with it yet. I'm sure I'll be tweaking the design before I come up with a final generator.

44356217.jpg

43803076.jpg

29097676.jpg

68429434.jpg

What is the other end of that tubing connected to, a small fish tank air pump? I'm guessing you have wood chips in the box smoldering, with the air pump stoking the small fire and pushing the smoke?

Yes, an aquarium pump. Chips in the bottom of the box. Chips draw air from the vent holes in the bottom (or open the bottom hinged cover if needed).

The air pump does not stoke the fire, just pushes the smoke through the pipe.

Flippin' sweet! I love the QR fitting-just the light bulb moment I needed!

BTW-what size aquarium pump are you using??

I kinda like my QR as well :thumb:

I'm testing other pumps but the one hooked up to the generator in the picture is a .022 mpa and 3.5 l/m unit.

Fantastic!! Let's see a walk thru of the plans.

I wanna build one. :D

And, if you want a more permanent installation, simply remove the female and male quick connectors. Thread a standard 2" - 4", 1/2 pipe onto the generator on one end, and thread the pipe into the collar on the drum end. :thumb:

Very cool!!! I'd like to see the plans used, when finalized. I've got 2" pipe in my garage that I was thinking of using.

Very cool!!! I'd like to see the plans used, when finalized. I've got 2" pipe in my garage that I was thinking of using.

Don't know if a 2" pipe will give you enough volume. I used 3" x 3" square tube. Easier to drill, tap, hinge, cap and screen IMO.

Finished the plans yet?

Just wondering if you have completed testing and have a set of plans we can work from yet?

Thanks!

P

Back