The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My Christmas Bird

I offered to smoke the Christmas Turkey for the family while in Tybee Island, GA. Dad has a gasser, so I did a test run after Thanksgiving on my gas 2 burner Genesis to make sure the effort could turn out successfully.

I followed Mad Max's turkey recipe from the Naked Whiz. 13 lb fresh turkey. Chose not to brine. Stuffed the bird with apple, orange, celery, carrot, garlic, rosemary, sage, thyme, and a half bottle of $3 Chuck. Prepared an herb butter and applied it under and over the skin. Also iced the breasts for 30 minutes before putting it on to smoke. My smoke was foil packs with cherry and pecan shells.

I had a hell of a time maintaining my heat at 325. The hood guage I know was about 20 degrees off. I had a cheapo oven therm sitting on the grate which read close and a Brookstone probe thermometer that refused to cooperate. I think the probe is shot. I also was competing with the cook times for a prime rib being done by my brother in law started an hour after the turkey went on. Regardless of the temp issues, the turkey was chugging along, deveoping a lovely color. The turkey and rib roast came off within ten minutes of each other. I wish I had a pic of the roast it was fantastic. The pictures:

Now, a question. Both on my test cook and this one, the thighs and legs need some additional cooking time once my breast hit 160. After carving the bird, I put the thighs and legs on the fire for another 10-15 minutes. Other than that, the turkey turned out almost perfect and garnered many compliments. Can anyone share their tips on getting the white and dark meat in synch?
rogwadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Good looking Bird there Brother Great job
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Looks good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
PCBBQCO
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Nice looking turkey, skin looks great. When I cook a bird I take it to 180 breast temp and end up at about 165 in the thigh.
PCBBQCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
WC BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I spatchcocked four turkeys for Christmas, no stuffing, brought the breasts up to 160 and the drums and thighs were at 175F. I smoked low and slow at 225F for about 5 hours then up to 325F the last hour. They were delicious, even though it was in the rain...
WC BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Cahusky
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwadd View Post
Can anyone share their tips on getting the white and dark meat in synch?
The eternal question............I put ice packs on the breasts when i pull the bird out of the fridge. It seems to work a little bit but I still have issues with the breast coming to temp long before the legs/wings. Ive taken to doing what you did and carving them off, post cook, and returning them to the oven. Or, parting it out prior to cooking it that way.
Cahusky is offline   Reply With Quote