The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
reddrum
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default deep fryer basket for charcoal basket

Im thinking about building my first UDS or atleast helping a friend build it and I have a couple deep fryer baskets that I never used and was thinking about just using one of those for the charcoal basket. The basket I was thinking about using is roughly 12in deep and probally about the same in circumfrence. Didnt know if anyone has ever used this type of basket for the charcoal or not. Ive looked at the UDS thread but was just wondering if anyone would think this would work. This would be one less thing I would have to worry about getting welded
reddrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Ought to work. Not sure how long it will last, but if it's not being used for anything else its worth a try.

Nice thing about the UDS is there is no preset way of making them. They are a haven for hodge-podge ideas like this.

Unread 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I doubt the aluminum basket I am thinking of would hold up to the heat.

Unread 12-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

I buy the replacement baskets from Academy for all my new drums and they hold up fine. I havent had to replace one yet.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

If welding is the only reason you are considering using the fryer basket, you can use bolts & washers through the expanded metal too...

Either way you decide to go, I would highly recommend using the pizza pan & spring clip mod for ash retrieval!

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote