喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #31
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I want an invite to the AR and the Jack and MiM!! I might go and get handed my head on a platter but at least I'll have made a run at it!
To me, you've won the battle to get the invite.........I think there was like 80+ teams in the AR invitational, but there can only be one grand champion. If you get the invite, enjoy the competition, you've already proven yourself somewhere along the line, no need to worry about having your head handed to you on a platter.

Like I've said before, I'll eat your cookin' any old time.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2004, 09:22 PM   #32
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
Only if there's a cooker and meat involved. Visiting a cookoff is like visiting relatives! :D

I want, nay - I need a reason to haul a rig 2600 miles round-trip to get my ass whipped!!

Yo Dave.. your way off.. Visiting the jack was a blast.... and if ya know peopl eon the circuit.. ya got lots of places to hang your hat.. I had a great time for 2 days without the stress of cooking... i'd do it again in a minute..

but i wont visit relatives cept weddings and funerals. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 07:08 AM   #33
chad

Quote:
Yo Dave.. your way off.. Visiting the jack was a blast.... and if ya know peopl eon the circuit.. ya got lots of places to hang your hat..
Phil;

I can't go to these things to visit, or checkout, or maybe taste somebody elses food! And, I can't afford to travel with a prime rib under my arm

For me, it's compete or don't go!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 03:01 PM   #34
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
Only if there's a cooker and meat involved. Visiting a cookoff is like visiting relatives! :D

I want, nay - I need a reason to haul a rig 2600 miles round-trip to get my ass whipped!!

Yo Dave.. your way off.. Visiting the jack was a blast.... and if ya know peopl eon the circuit.. ya got lots of places to hang your hat.. I had a great time for 2 days without the stress of cooking... i'd do it again in a minute..

but i wont visit relatives cept weddings and funerals. :)
Another forum member PMd me about my "smack" of Phil:

Obviously some think I was slamming Phil - I didn't mean to. I respect him immensely and am so appreciative of the times I've visited in his home and the opportunity he have me to help at Asbury Park.

I apologize if I gave the impression that I'm slamming Phil. I just can't go and hang at these events - I wish I could. So, I repeat, I'll go when I can compete - and I wish I could afford prime rib in the suitcase! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #35
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Chad
No need to apologize.

We live in the real world. Phil lives in Philville.

No normal sane person walks around in a blue fuzzy hat with horns, and a prime rib under his arm.

But it was a good slam

Statistical Anomalies render some statistics meaningless. +/- 3 standard deviations

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #36
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If anybody knows a Chad slam, I do.

Unread 11-11-2004, 05:31 PM   #37
BBQchef33

Relax DF.... i didnt see no slam....

I live in Philville though?? Thats a slam, but i'll ignore that one.

and I'm proud to have a prime rib under my arm.. some people bring six packs.. or bottles of wine... I bring Prime Rib! Sh*t walked into midwest bash with a prime rib, a tray of shrimp and a crave case of white castles... Didn't hear anyone complaining there. :) except those who ate the white castles a few hours later.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 11-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #38
CinCity25
Got Wood.

Quote:
Didn't hear anyone complaining there. except those who ate the white castles a few hours later.
...they really should have a warning sign up in that place not to stop for lunch there when on a 13 hour drive in a van with your whole team!

The Original Pit-Bitch of the North
What Have You Been Smokin'?
Guelph, ON Canada
CinCity25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #39
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinCity25
Quote:
Didn't hear anyone complaining there. except those who ate the white castles a few hours later.
...they really should have a warning sign up in that place not to stop for lunch there when on a 13 hour drive in a van with your whole team!
this sounds like a voice of experience.

Open Window Mod.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 11-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #40
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Slowly "dragging this back on topic" MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
So the new judge looks at your box and he's never seen anything look like that so he figures it must be the legendary fake smoke ring. Bam, you get a 6 and then he brags about it to his buddys.
I assure you this scenario is real.
DOC,
I had some great "t'ween meat" conversations and I can see that happening, for sure. I was lucky and did not have to listen to BS, just good info on "soaking wood properly" by some of the the judges.

Quote:
There were plenty of conversations about judging at past contests, but few about competing. The judges who competed were there to hone their skills and get better in touch with what the judges were looking for at contests.
Rob,
This was our goal and we think we profited greatly!
Thanks all,
TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #41
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Oh, please share the great info on "soaking wood properly".
Yes, I think you got my point.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #42
parrothead

Quote:
LMAO

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #43
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes Sir--saw it for myself.
Fun, Fun, Fun--and a great learning experience!
I had anouther newby Judge "hanging on my every word" just because I had the KEWL Brethren hat on and had actually competed--once
I had to be real careful what I said.
"Blind leading the blind" sometimes
Real "old timers" could definately lead "one astray", or "down the right path" as the case may be!
TIM

Unread 11-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #44
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Tim,

It seems to me that the judges have their own world and just like to judge. There were plenty of conversations about judging at past contests, but few about competing. The judges who competed were there to hone their skills and get better in touch with what the judges were looking for at contests.

Robert
Rob,
That is exactly why DF and I spent the $ and time to go to training and then actually judge a meet!
That is also why I started this thread!
I believe in "collective wisdom", training, and then experience to pull it all together.
We have seen the some of the extremes of taste, opinion, and attitude.
We have a better understanding of the way meat should be prepared for turn-in.
We have learned (or decided) that we can not worry about the judges who are outside of the guidlines or who let personal preferences drive their scores.
We can simply cook within the rules to the best of our ability and see what happens.

We have a better plan now and will see how it goes!

Thanks to all for the great input and contributions to the "collective wisdom"!
TIM