MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
ACES
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Smoker Newbie with Brisket questions

My wife got me a Masterbuilt electric smoker for Christmas and I just finished seasoning it. I've got a 2lb brisket and some ribs in the fridge. I'm thinking about trying it out tomorrow since I'm on vacation.

There is plenty of room to do them both, but I'm not sure I should. Or what Temperature and how long I should leave them in.

I've found a lot of recommendations on how long to leave a much larger brisket, but not much for a 2 pounder.

I also purchased Mesquite, Apple and Cherry wood. Any recommendations on which to use?

Thanks for your help

-ACES
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Aces,

Unless that brisket has a substantial fat cap on it, it's likely going to be dry. Most of the markets that sell brisket flats trim nearly most or all of the fat off of them. If that's what you have, I'd cook the brisket in the oven using some kind of braising liquid.

If it does have a decent fat cap, go ahead and give it a go. If all you have are the three woods listed, I'd go light on the mesquite, or better yet, get some oak, pecan, or hickory, all of which go great with beef. I really don't pay attention to time, but rather focus pulling the meat when it's done. You're in the ballpark when the meat reaches 180 or so, but that's just a basic guideline. It's done when you can stick a probe through the meat and it slides in like butter, not a minute sooner.

Here's a link to my first brisket, using Bigabyte's excellent tutorial, which is linked at the bottom of my thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...isket+Tutorial

Try and find yourself a nice packer, follow the tutorial, and you'll turn out a fine piece of meat.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I haven't done a flat in a long time,,,,, but I do remember using this guy's advice , he calls a flat a HOF, "huge o' flat", I think ,,,,,

good luck with your masterbuilt smoker!
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

2 pound brisket is most likely trimmed to within an nch of it's life BUT... I would still throw it on the cooker - but I would probably give it just a little time in the smoke then foil her up with a little liquid. Moose is right on when it's done. A 2 pounder may take about 3 or so hours cooked at 230* or so - remember, this is BBQ so time is relative - don't rush it and give yourself plenty of time for it wo be done. You can always hold cooked meet in a warm cooler.

I would also definately put on the ribs at the same time. I would put them over the brisket - I like to let pork drip onto beef. If you are doing both together I would go with apple and or cherry, mesquite seems a little heavy for ribs - of course I am assuming they are pork ribs...

So - good luck and let us know hiw this works out for you.
Post a puctire or two of that brisket - let's see it.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Mike View Post
I haven't done a flat in a long time,,,,, but I do remember using this guy's advice , he calls a flat a HOF, "huge o' flat", I think ,,,,,

good luck with your masterbuilt smoker!

Doing a little research on today's brisket, lots of good info from that link
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->