The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Turkey legs, anyone?

I just picked up a case (30#) of Carolina tom turkey legs - $.65 per pound if anyone is interested.

That comes out to 15 legs per case - why do I need to know this you ask? Because it's real hard to set a price on an item when you don't know how many of such items come in the case!! :D

Anyway, 4 will go into the Weber tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure the others will make their way to the cooker over the next week or so.

The Southern Brethren are planning on selling these along with sausage on a stick at the Plant City cook off. We've got to show a "profit" one way or another. At least there will be no doubt in the inspector's mind which food is for what part of the event!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I got some turkey drums on the dera right now. Lookin good. When they're done I'll crisp them up on the kettle and slather 'em in sauce.

Unread 11-07-2004, 05:46 AM   #3
Neil

Never done turkey drums. Got a 7lb brisket point on right now and there is room for more so I thinks me will stop at the store after mass this morning and pick some legs up for the 'dera. How long do you smoke them?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Neil, Tim(kpndsl) says drummies are very good done 3-2-1. I don't eat them my self but I'll take Tim's word anyday, he's smart enough to cook with DF, he must know something!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
tommykendall

I think mine when 3.5 hours in th chamber

Unread 11-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
parrothead

Dave, One of my partners has seen turkey legs sold at concessions around here before. He said the price per ranged from 5 - 7 dollars each. Believe it or not. This was obviously at a large event. Smaller events I am sure you could easily get $4 and sell them all.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
chad

Greg;

That's what we're thinking! I'm a bit bummed that I can only get the 2# legs right now - I'd rather have 1-1.25 pounders - but that's what the phone is for. Eventually I'll find what I'm after.

But, we can show profit even with the bit legs and we'll sell a bunch of these big legs, too. I figure at around $4 we'd be right around 35% food costs - a bit higher than I'd like but with the size of these legs that's as close as I can get without going $5 or higher.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2004, 03:39 AM   #8
Neil

Was going to do turkey drums yesterday with my brsket and spares but opted for the turkey wings instead.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Bigdog

$ 5.00 max on turkey legs IMHO.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote