ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default guess who is gonna learn how to do

PRIME RIB!!!!

<<<< this guy that's who, Frys (same as kroger... and ...others) is having rib roasts, bone in, end roasts all kinds of goodness on sale this week, i got excited!! 4.99 whole in bag, or 5.99 bone in smaller roasts

i have wanted to try out prime rib on GRUNTER for a while now, so i thought this was my chance, 4.99 Great googly moogly!!! im in...or so i thought... when i get to the store... to get that 4.99 a pound ya had to buy the WHOLE 20lb roast.... dam.... not gettin that.... i dont have 100 bones lyin around for basically ME to eat SWMBO will not even look at PR....

BBBBBBBUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT i did find them smaller end bone in roasts, 5.99 a pound, i grabbed up a 6 ish pound roast, it cost bout 38 bux so still wayy cheaper than normal, soooo now....

give me some suggestions, i was thinkin of insertin some garlic into it and dirty dalmation on the outside and that's it cook bout 230 til...what 150 in the MIDDLE of the roast, and let it carry on up or should i take to 160 and carry.

next comes the horseradish....who's got a good HR sauce for me? GORE ya got anything, Howwa bout you LARRY???

im ready to slam this thing outta the park!!!

oh and i gotta do 5 or more racks of ribs christmas dinner too, gonna be a good week next week!!!
GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man, you're setting yourself up for a good time! I'd go a little lower on the internal finished temp, but that's just me... I like it still fightin' back when you stick a fork in it.
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
BobBrisket

I did the garlic/slits thing one year, honestly, not really worth the effort. Now I just rub it down with garlic cloves and then a light coat of oil and go with Montreal. Instead of searing before or after, I like to do it indirect with the meat pretty close to the heat, and just rotate it so it gets some nice color all around. If I remember correctly I pulled it at 120 and let it rise to about 125 under a foil tent for the rest.
Got a pic in my album I believe.
Same price around here. I'll be picking one up soon too and dry aging it a bit in the fridge.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Man, you're setting yourself up for a good time! I'd go a little lower on the internal finished temp, but that's just me... I like it still fightin' back when you stick a fork in it.

lower like how low buddy? arent you sposed to be on a boat??
GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would not inject anything, any standing rib roast carries enough flavor if you like beef. I would give it a good run of kosher salt, medium grind black pepper and some fresh herbs. You could rub it down with a load of crushed garlic.

I used to use straight grated horseradish and the jus from the pan. But, there was some displeasure about the intensity of the horseradish and my not telling anyone it was not blended (which I think is obvous). So, now I mix a few tablespoons into a half cup each of mayo and sour cream. Okay, maybe a lot of few tablespoons. I still serve the jus along with it. Sometimes I make extra jus and fortify with demi-glace and red wine.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
landarc

I cook to 130F internal. I like to get there slowly, although I do sear, sort of.

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

can't wait to see the results!

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

ok, next question, should i cook it in a pan on the smoker then? so i can keep the au jus?
raised on a grate or right in the pan?
GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!

Unread 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
landarc

I have done all three, my current preference is to put a load of aromatics into the bottom of the pan, like thick slices of onion, stalks of celery and carrots split into strips. Build them up to 1" at least. I actually will add a little salt to this. Then plop meat on top, you are making a rack of veggies.

Once meat is done, and jus is soaking the veggies, I filter and let cool, defat and you are started along the way to dinner.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have done all three, my current preference is to put a load of aromatics into the bottom of the pan, like thick slices of onion, stalks of celery and carrots split into strips. Build them up to 1" at least. I actually will add a little salt to this. Then plop meat on top, you are making a rack of veggies.
Y that settles it that's what I'm doin!!

Here's some pics of the roast

GROGG
MY BLOG

Facebookin it!

Unread 12-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
BobBrisket

I call the bones............those are the BEST chef's treats EVER!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
lower like how low buddy? arent you sposed to be on a boat??

Pretty much how BobBrisket described. That's pretty rare...

As for the boat, got a few days to go. My Avatar will change to reflect my absence when I go!
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

I do mine like BobBrisket turns out great ever time. I do like landarc's idea of doing it on a bed of veggies. I miss the days when ribroasts used to be $2.99 a pound Christmas week. The meat cutter would tell our food manager I was personally responsible for blowing his margin in December because I would buy 2 shopping carts full every year.
lionhrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I like to just rub them olive oil and salt and papper and cook them right on the grate of my smoker, Landarc said it "standing rib roast carries enough flavor", Good looking roast can't wait to see pron!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
PRIME RIB!!!!

what 150 in the MIDDLE of the roast, and let it carry on up or should i take to 160 and carry.

next comes the horseradish....who's got a good HR sauce for me? GORE ya got anything, Howwa bout you LARRY???
Some high heat sear 1st, some reverse sear, some just cook at 225° till it hits internal temperature they choose. I am a sear 1st person, mine also involvest rest the meat into the cook and then starting cooking process again...good luck with your choice.

If you cook to 150° internal, you will be on the high end of medium well and at 160° you are getting into brown all the way through meat.

I am trying to figure out the HR sauce myself, I am going with 1/2 cup sour cream, 3 Tsp of HR and 3 Tsp of cream cheese...Will try and electric wisk till smoth, hoping not to turn sour cream into liquid.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Rib Roast