• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butts, how long can you hold em.

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I provide pulled pork for our extended family dinner on Christmas Eve, last year was the first year and it went over great.

This year I have to travel 1 1/2 hour to where we have dinner so have to somehow plan this cook correctly.

I have a cryovac of butts from sams (14 lbs) and I usually plan 10-12 hours for the cook and I know its done when its done.

I do not want to have the main corse late, so trying to figure out when to start them.
I have held them in a cooler with foil and towels for a couple hours in the past.

How long can they actually be held like that, once I get there I will put it in a slow cooker to hold until serving.

I did a catering job for a church lunch we pulled them out of the smoke around 10am and ate around 1. we had a couple extras butts that I left in the cooler. When i Got home around 6 I pulled them and they were still too hot to handle. I would pick a cooler or cambro over the slow cooker.

I have held meat for 6 hours with no problems at all when put in a pre-warmed cooler, wrapped up in towels/blankets/whatever, and even put in a couple 2-liter bottles filled with scalding hot water to add extra hot mass. The meat was still hot to the touch and difficult to pull without burning my hands 6 hours later. It was like it had just come out of the cooker just several minutes before. That's the longest I have held anything though.

A cambro is a nice thing to have for traveling/holding food.
You can cook and hold for several hours. I am not sure if there is a max time limit using them.(Maybe someone with more experience could add their opinions.) By adding a little moisture your product should stay hot for hours.
A cooler will do the same thing but it may be a little messier.:becky:
jon

Wrap whole, hot foiled butts in some old towels and stash them in a good quality cooler (like a Coleman Extreme). They'll stay hot all day, to the point the steam will roll off when you crack them.

+1 on what civil war said. I've coolered for 6 hours

+1 on what civil war said. I've coolered for 6 hours and they were still at 160°

Back