ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwylde1 View Post
Well this certainly has turned into an obsession for me! Doing some research with the advice here. Love the Kettle as a starting point. But the UDS looks like it would be a fun project also. Then the WSM looks awesome as well.

UDS vs WSM?? Are they not the same thing except one is your own creation and the other made by Weber? Plus the difference in cost.
Ain't gonna touch that one!
But you'll get plenty of responses I'm sure.
Truth be told though, I have neither but I would love to build a UDS myself. Norcoredneck has a thread about making one without welding too. Then again I'd love to have a WSM too.
And an offset, and, oh...guess I'm obsessed as well!
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #32
BigDaddyJT
On the road to being a farker

I'm another vote for the Weber Kettle 22". WSM vs.UDS - That's another story all together. I think if you look there may be a post or 2 on this site w/ some thoughts on that topic. Enjoy your cooker, whichever you decide to get.

JT
BigDaddyJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #33
zwylde1
Full Fledged Farker

Am reading the Ultimate UDS thread now, and got to the point where someone said about adding a door to the UDS and they said you are just making a WSM then. May slowly be getting the differnces here.

New guy dumb question symdrome I suppose.
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #34
deguerre

Ain't no dumb questions in this forum.

Well, outside of the woodpile anyway.

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #35
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
I would buy a WSM first then get a kettle later for grilling.
I agree...
Brinkmann Cimmarron Offset
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
prudog
On the road to being a farker

Kettle is great entry point with instant gratification... can play with fire and figure out if you will be doing more grilling (steaks, burgers, etc.) or roasts (butts, loins, chickens) and then keep building or spending until you scratch that itch. May God have mercy on your pocketbook if you have deep pockets and OCD personality. LOL.

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #37
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

A Chargiller w/side firebox is a good start in "getting your feet wet" but be prepared to do a fair amount of babysitting. Like tending the fire/coals/vents!! Any Weber kettle will produce some fine Q, grilled or smoked. Like others said... if you know your way around the garage and have basic mechanical skills, then start reading the mother of all threads on UDS. UDS's are smoking machines with little maintenance.

Anyway you go... show us da PRON!!!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, KCBS - CBJ
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #38
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

UDS vs WSM
If you have the skills and a few tools build a UDS, if you don't, save for a WSM. If you want a WSM effect on the UDS, put a third rack just above your charcoal basket. Then you can place a diffuser or water pan on it. You won't need a door in your UDS if you load your basket with lump or briquettes when you start. One important thing, get a drum without a liner!!!! It will make your life a lot easier!!
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast Red Thermapen

Got butt ? Smoke it !!
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #39
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

I recommend this book:
Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons
http://www.amazon.com/Low-Slow-Maste...3032080&sr=1-1

It is written for either a Weber Kettle, Weber WSM (I used it with an ECB) or an offset. 5 very easy, step-by-step lessons. If you master the lessons in this book, you will have the foundational knowledge to experiment and try things and understand why they work or don't work. I think this book will answer all of your questions and more without overwhelming you like the internet can.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #40
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

My thoughts on WSM vs UDS (I support both cookers highly).

WSM's work right out of the box and they are all produced the same so they all cook basically the same way. So you can get advice on how to cook with it and pretty much follow that time-tested advice and it will work with your cooker. WSM's are much more expensive than a UDS however, but in comparison to all of the other smokers out there that are proven competition quality, they are the best value. WSM's disassemble for easy cleanup.

UDS is the cheapest competition quality smoker you can find. You have to build it though to get that value. Not all UDS are the same, and the advice you get online from others may not work with yours. However, it is a great reference point to get you started, and if you give it thought and try you will figure your unit out quickly enough and be very happy with it. UDS is a little harder to clean out than a WSM, but I don't think it's a sho stopper, but a point of convenience.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #41
rossmatt06
Knows what a fatty is.

I was in the same position a few months ago; Here's what I've learned along the way. I purchased a Char-Griller with side fire box for my first bbq pit. It works wonderfully for a grill but has way too many air leaks and is too thin to maintain temps without alot of constant adjustment. Also it will burn through an amazing amount of charcoal while doing longer cooks like ribs. I never purchased a weber but I'm wishing I would have for my first pit as it is very versatile and is a relatively cheap investment to see if bbq is for you or not. The UDS is a very fun project and you will end up using it ALOT as it is very good on charcoal and is for the most part set it and forget it. The more $ you spend, the easier life becomes but its not really a neccesity. I purchased a stoker (automated draft control system) so that I can tell it what temp I want my pit to be and it will keep it there until I run out of charcoal. Not a neccesity but makes life easier. Also got large BGE ceramic cooker. It turns out about the same bbq as the UDS but cost 10 times as much. The reasoning is because I can bbq, cold smoke, grill, and do brick oven pizza and bread all on the same piece of equipment. The moral of the story is that all you need to bbq is a fire and a way to control the fire. After that it's just a matter of how lazy do you want to be while bbqing and how much $ do you have to "invest" in your new found hobby!

P.S. To date I don't know of any cure for the BBQ Bug... Once you get it there is not stopping it! You have been warned!

Unread 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #42
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
From the discussions I see here, I was worried no one would care about helping a newbie.
That's where you went wrong.
The Brethren moto at the top of the page says "From the Backyard, to the American Royal"........

Newbies are always welcomed and helped. We love seeing a newbie become addicted and obsessed with all things BBQ.
Like the old saying goes, "the only dumb question, is the one not asked."

Quote:
Well this certainly has turned into an obsession for me! Doing some research with the advice here. Love the Kettle as a starting point. But the UDS looks like it would be a fun project also. Then the WSM looks awesome as well.

UDS vs WSM?? Are they not the same thing except one is your own creation and the other made by Weber? Plus the difference in cost.
You will find that there is a HUGE Weber fan base here at the Brethren and for a good reason. If cared for properly, their products will last many, many years and their customer service is excellent.

I personally started with a Weber gasser and then went to a Weber Smoky Mountain, then Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, then my Spicewine that you see in my avatar.

On the kettle, imho the upgrade from silver to gold is well worth the extra cash because of the ash catcher. Not only does it catch the ashes, but it catches small pieces of lit charcoal that fall through the grates. On the silver, I have seen the lit pieces of coal bounce off of the ash pan and land on a guys deck and into one guys sandal.

WSM vs. UDS -- both great smokers that put out really good BBQ and are easy to operate. I think it's a personal preference. I think guys that like DIY type projects enjoy the tinkering and stuff. Guys that aren't mechanically inclined would probably like the WSM more...heck buy a WSM and build a UDS to see which you like better...I'm sure that if for some bizarre reason you didn't like the WSM that you could put it up for sale here on the Brethren board and someone would buy it from you in a *snap*.....isn't that right Clark (Harbormaster)???

just my .02....ymmv
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #43
zwylde1
Full Fledged Farker

Alrighty then. I am about 28 pages into the mother of all threads and I am now convinced I need to build one of these. I just love stuff like that. Plus I love going to lots of places and do so major tailgating, football games, races etc. This thing will blow people away when it gets fired up. Only bummer I see right now is with all I have going on for the holidays this will have to wait a few weeks to get under way. But hey, that gives me plenty of time to come up with the things I need as well as laying out a plan.

My wife is going to think this is just nuts, just like alot of other things I have done.
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #44
deguerre

Well, get your wife to join! I did. The only problem is that she usually smears me in a throw down when we both enter one...

Unread 12-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #45
Rocky Branch BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Agreed - Weber Kettle is the ticket! You will be suprised how much you use it.
Rocky Branch BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote