MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Berkshire/Duroc Hybrid Ribs and Brisket Pron

Had some time to Q today so I took some Berkshire Duroc ribs that I had scored out of the freezer, and the brisket with a roughly 40 day age on it out of the fridge.

First the brisket. Mixed up a rub of

1 cup coarse black pepper
1 cup coarse sea salt
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup granulated onion
1/4 cup celery seed
1/8 cup cumin
1/8 cup paprika

Put a thin layer of mustard for the rub to stick to

After a couple hours on the WSM

A served up in a sauce made from the drippings.

Wish I had more pics of the brisket process, but it was a busy day. The brisket was very tasty. I dont know if Ill bother with the aging again. I kinda figured that I wouldnt find it worth it, but I had to see for myself.

On to the ribs! These were two beautiful slabs! I will likely be using these in competitions since I can get them locally at a reasonable price.

Gave em a good coat of rub. Sorry cant tell whats in this one.

And onto my buddy's Lifetyme offset. This thing does a great job on ribs! We foiled one halfway to test the difference. After four hours at 275*-325* and a good bath in hickory and pecan smoke they looked like this.

Then after about 15 minutes with a homemade glaze we had this.

Sliced up, served, and enjoyed. Im kinda proud of these bite marks.

These were practice for upcoming cookoffs. The brisket was good, but the process needs refining. Both slabs were really good. I liked the unfoiled better. The tase was fuller, and the foiled just pulled back way too far from the bone. Probably because of the high fat marbling.

I humbly await the opinions of the Brethren.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The brisket looks like it turned out pretty good, not too sure about all that sauce. The ribs look very tasty. And they look like they were cooked to an excellent texture.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
jestridge

Ok give us an opinion on berkshire pork do you think it better than the factory produce pork i,f so in what ways. Reason I neeed to know I thinking about buying some hertiage pigs
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
bigabyte

Both look good, although the lighting affected some of the shots, but it looks good. So what was your opinion of the brisket? Looks to me like it was pretty good, although I like mine without sauce so I think it would look better plain. The ribs look like they are at the right stage of doneness for a comp, some pull remaining but able to come off the bone cleanly.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I totally agree about the sauce. I like my brisket without it. Most of it was actually eaten without sauce. I just didnt get any good brisket pictures. That one was of what was left and just put in a pan with the sauce to keep from drying out.
I also agree about the lighting. Sometimes I can get really good pics with my Evo's camera, but for some reason it just wasnt happening today.

The brisket was really good. I will be using this rub again most likely. I will also not be putting water in the pan of the WSM again. I could not get the bark to set the way I wanted it to. It had a great flavor just not crusty like I wanted. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I doubt I will try aging again. I'm actually gonna practice with cheap select packers, and when I can be consistent with those then I'll buy the good stuff.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
bigabyte

I am a dry pan in the WSM advocate. I use sand in my pans, covered with a couple layers of foil.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
Ok give us an opinion on berkshire pork do you think it better than the factory produce pork i,f so in what ways. Reason I neeed to know I thinking about buying some hertiage pigs
Well I can't speak for pure bred Berkshire, or Duroc for that matter. But these hybrid ribs I got are just superior to anything I have found in a supermarket. The pictures I took don't tell the true story. This meat is full of snow white streaks of fat running all through it. I am still going to keep an open mind but these were really good. They had a great flavor that I can only describe as well......"porky" in other words the way it should be. They are also reasonably priced at a specialty meat shop down here called Rare Cuts. I don't know the brand name but if anyone wants to know, just send me a PM and I will find out for you.

Unless I find something else out there these will be my ribs for competion.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
jestridge

Thanks Q!
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I am a dry pan in the WSM advocate. I use sand in my pans, covered with a couple layers of foil.
Yep thats what Im gonna try next time. We use four pits in conpetition. A UDS, the offset, the WSM, and a Bubba Keg. We are pretty much set on using the offset for ribs and the Bubba Keg for chicken. We just have to figure out where the brisket and butt are gonna cook. I have a feeling that the Brisket may end up on the drum since a 15# packer is gonna be hard to get on that 18" WSM without touching the sides.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Phubar

Ooooh....shiney ribs!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
JD McGee

Love the Duroc ribs...tasty little buggas...nice job!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

nice

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote