The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default MOINK balls Times and temps f/ CHRISTmas party?

Anybody else doin' MOINK balls today? I've got to leave the house at about 4:30, and would appreciate any tips on keeping 'em hot, etc, for the roughly 20 min. ride. I'm gonna try Big Bob Gibson's red sauce mixed 50/50 w/ grape jelly for my glaze, and hopefully, my own version of a KC style rub will work ok.

I found various times and temps in my searches, and plan on smoking at an estimated 235 grate, or 250 at my wsm vent. I'd think a packed grate will make 'em take a little longer to cook, but I'm really just guessing as to how long to allow for the bacon to cook and the glaze to set. Does an hour and fifteen minutes sound long enough for the bacon, plus thirty more minutes allowed for glazing all of them? Total of 1:45 for a packed rack at about 235? Any tips will be greatly appreciated, 'cause if the Missus is waiting on me in the car at 4:30...

Unread 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Smokeadelic
On the road to being a farker

1:45 seems reasonable at those temps.

Keep them warm by wrapping the platter in foil, then wrapping (or just covering) that in towels. They'll easily stay warm for 30 minutes.

Unread 12-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

I normally go 2 hours at 240, apply glaze and go another 1/2 hr to set glaze for a total of 2-1/2 hrs.

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
Extreme BBQ Trailer 8.5' x 22'
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

I did some on the WSM last weekend. Packed grate. Took about 2.5 to get the bacon right. I did not glaze them. Learned a lesson of using the cheaper bacon seemed to work better than the good bacon. It wrapped better and was thinner so it was more crispy than the thicker bacon, just my opinion after only making them once. Good Luck and don't keep the missus waiting!

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue bbq View Post
I did some on the WSM last weekend. Packed grate. Took about 2.5 to get the bacon right. I did not glaze them. Learned a lesson of using the cheaper bacon seemed to work better than the good bacon. It wrapped better and was thinner so it was more crispy than the thicker bacon, just my opinion after only making them once. Good Luck and don't keep the missus waiting!
She picked up low sodium Walmart brand cheap bacon, so that oughta be fine. Thanks for the time suggestion....at 235 or so?

Unread 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

I did some a week ago at 250 that took about 90-100 mins before applying the glaze. Total time was almost 2 hrs.

As for keeping them hot, I think foiling, wrapped in towels, and putting them into a cooler should work for that ride. I coolered some for a couple of hours before and it seemed like they continued to cook as they came out considerably darker than when they went into the cooler. They were still tasty and all were eaten but they didn't look as appetizing as when served up fresh off the cooker.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Well, despite all the eats for the relatively small party, including a pot of chili that the hostess cooked, very few MOINKBALLS made it back home with the Missus and me.

I was running late getting 'em prepped, so I opened the vents and let the wsm cook at an average wsm vent temp of 280 or so, for a total cook time of about 1:45 including the glazing. I think I started glazing at about 1:15.