喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 12-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #31
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
Just as an FYI, I like the people at wiredbbq, I have nothing against them.... the fact is it was e-mail posted 72 hours before the meeting, it gave no time for any others to submit, the agenda for the public was only out the day or 2 before the vote, it was only out 2 days for board members who are to vote, no other comparable groups could be reached and the board was not thinking it would be fair and that it may drop attendance at the banquet.
Gene,
I am glad that you are willing to respond but, your facts as presented are not even close to reality.

The following is excerpted from the KCBS Web Site Published November Agenda: (Please note that this is a full 30 days prior to the December meeting)

"AGENDA FOR THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
NOVEMBER 10, 2010
KANSAS CITY, MO
Merl Whitebook, Secretary
New Business:

Motion by Candy Weaver: Simulcast of Banquet.
Wired Barbeque (http://www.wiredbbq.com) has inquired requesting permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. Their webcast of the 2010 Jack was quite successful and sparked much web interest in the activities in Lynchburg.
With over 13,000 members, this webcast is a way to give KCBS members who cannot attend the banquet a web way to be a part of the action."

This really should be addressed by the board as some one, some where has selective memory.

Mack Yarbrough
Member #24882

A previous poster noted that this motion was tabled from the November meeting according to the KCBS Web Site Published Quick Minutes from November.

Last edited by Smoke'n Ice; 12-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Add previous post emphsis
Smoke'n Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #32
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

interesting to read, I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them.... we the board discussed it at the December meeting a couple of weeks ago in my mind, maybe I missed it and my mind is gone I don't think so though...
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #33
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

I looked it up in my notes, this item was listed on the Agenda for November and not discussed, it was discussed at the December meeting as previosely posted... I/ we discussed it at the December meeting only...
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #34
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

so if it was on the november agenda, then there was over a month for any other interested entity to make a proposal.

Even better, KCBS could have sent out or published an RFP(Request for proposal) so anyone interested can bid. Wiredbbq is unique and if they were the only bidder, IMO, should have been approved.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #35
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
so if it was on the november agenda, then there was over a month for any other interested entity to make a proposal.

Even better, KCBS could have sent out or published an RFP(Request for proposal) so anyone interested can bid. Wiredbbq is unique and if they were the only bidder, IMO, should have been approved.
And there's no reason why the BOD couldn't have worked with Wired with the full understanding that the 2011 banquet would be a test only and that broadcasting the 2012 would be open to an RFP process.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #36
dbaldin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default WiredBBQ Response

Hey, thanks to everyone that supports what WiredBBQ does. I, for one, have always thought it would be cool to cover the KCBS Banquet. That being said, we understand that there's a process involved that decides our level of participation. We asked, and have yet to receive an official response.
@Gene01 "I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them..." (There was no meeting on November 27th in St. Louis, we weren't in St. Louis on this date)

To learn of the board's decision through these posts is somewhat disheartening, it hardly takes away from what WiredBBQ is about.

I must say that it is the cookers and competitors that make WiredBBQ most interesting. What happens in board rooms don't make good barbecue. It's you folks that we follow, and we appreciate your good words and support. So thank you Brethren, we'll be around. Maybe even at the 'After' party....

Last edited by dbaldin; 12-20-2010 at 02:32 AM..
dbaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #37
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

I don't post here either, but this is disturbing.

Gene, thanks tons for giving us insight into the process and sticking your neck out.
As Jon suggested, why not put talk about it at the special meeting? These guys don't need to set up a studio - I've seen them in action and they travel light - and a lot of us who are not attending would LOVE to watch the banquet.

Arlin

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #38
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Stand out in the lobby, just outside the banquet room.... You can have access to just about anycook, rep et al. that will be there. I wouldn't expect any BOD members to do any interviews, because there was no competing bid for you to stand in the lobby and we know that the way the BOD operates is always on the straight and narrow path... Right? Oooh, another thought.. I'll prop the door open, or as a paying guest, I will accidently leave the door open during awards... I am sure we could find others that "might" be avaialble to ghold the door open as well...

All I have to say is unbelievable. How many other productions are stepping up to broadvast this? Or is it about getting competitng bids? For what? YOu think anyone is making money on this? I bet this is a total loss for wiredBBQ.

Disappointed with the actions of the BOd to not look at the big picture of what this could have done for BBQ.

I'll copy and post directly from the KCBS website....

Mission

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldin View Post
Hey, thanks to everyone that supports what WiredBBQ does. I, for one, have always thought it would be cool to cover the KCBS Banquet. That being said, we understand that there's a process involved that decides our level of participation. We asked, and have yet to receive an official response.
@Gene01 "I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them..." (There was no meeting on November 27th in St. Louis, we weren't in St. Louis on this date)

To learn of the board's decision through these posts is somewhat disheartening, it hardly takes away from what WiredBBQ is about.

I must say that it is the cookers and competitors that make WiredBBQ most interesting. What happens in board rooms don't make good barbecue. It's you folks that we follow, and we appreciate your good words and support. So thank you Brethren, we'll be around. Maybe even at the 'After' party....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #39
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

Mission

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.
Exactly.

I've left voicemail for a member of the board, to see if it's possible to look at this issue again during the special meeting scheduled for today.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #40
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

If Wired BBQ would like to come to Florida I'll be willing to do a re-enactment of what's happening at the banquet. I've seen it many times and believe my interpretation will be accurate, and way more entertaining.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #41
Bigdog

It seems to me that there are 2 issues here:

1) Whether to allow them to webcast and not others. Well, they were the only ones who asked so I don't see the problem here.

2) Whether their webcast would hurt attendance to the dinner. Once again, a simple solution here: You the rule of blackouts. If the thing sells out, lift the blackout.

Am I missing something? This seems like such a no-brainer.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #42
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
If Wired BBQ would like to come to Florida I'll be willing to do a re-enactment of what's happening at the banquet. I've seen it many times and believe my interpretation will be accurate, and way more entertaining.
I'd be willing to contribute to that sponsorship package!

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #43
Jeff_in_KC

I was thinking of inviting them to come in and broadcast us getting our awards from our tables but thought that, even though it would be to show up the establishment (like holding open the door! LOL!), it might come across way too arrogant! But you guys are invited to the after-party! I sent Tony and email on Saturday.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #44
Scottie
Babbling Farker

that would be just "accident'y" leaving the door open... Or maybe they can give me a concealed camera and I can have it in my cooler. Or I mean my bag that I will have...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #45
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
I looked it up in my notes, this item was listed on the Agenda for November and not discussed,
So it's just Opps and move on...Great leadership from the BOD...
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote