The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 12-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
GQue
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Food Facility Plan Review packet - HELP!

Hey Everyone,

Need some help! I am trying to get a liscense from my county health Dept so that I can cater and maybe hit some corporate campuses. As I go through this process they have asked me to complete a thick packet about 25 pages long with info so that they can approve me for my liscense.

I was wondering if any of you have ever had to complete anything similar for your liscense and if would be open to sharing your packet as some of the requests I dont even know where to start. For instance my Hazard Analysisi Critical Control Point Plan for Food Handling Procedure that describes preperation,cooling,reheating,cooking of foods, and the handling of leftovers. Then they want me to go into all kinds of details around how I am going to do certain things within my trailer. I figure and hope someone has already completed something like this so I dont have too. This is just an example of the stuff they want to know

Anyone have any suggestions or help or completed packet they would be willing to share?

THanks in advance - Look forward to your comments!
Jason
CBJ #520282
GQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

take a servsafe course if you haven't. You'll need it to do the plan. I did one in MI and they are very custom. I'm really busy until the new year but if you still need help then, pm me and i'll talk to you about what goes into them. Hopefully in the meantime somebody from CO will help you out.

Unread 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

I 2nd what Ford says

Unread 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
GQue

OK - Thanks for the insight, I will look into those classes and take one. Anyone got anything else?
CBJ #520282

Unread 12-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Start with that and then things will become easier, as the hd up here won't even begin to talk till you've completed that and then they should have forms to fill out and follow

Unread 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Our HD here is very helpful with all gray area issues...give them a call or shoot them an e-mail...most likely they will be more than happy to steer you in the right direction. Contrary to popular belief...most are pretty helpful folks...not all eat their young...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Jason,

What are you serving from on these onsite locations?

Most HD's will require a print with details of the mobile unit you will be using. They also have requirements on certain items such as plumbing, serving window sizes etc..etc...
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

You will need the ServSafe to do anything with the HD. Don't just take the test, go to a class and you will be able to ask a lot of questions that will help you. Take the packet and see if you can talk to the instructor after class to help you understand what the HD wants.

Unread 12-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

This is advice - if you have no clue about food safety and temp control, you are getting way ahead of yourself opening any kind of food establishment and should seriously think again before investing any money.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Food serving is very hard, time consuming work that can not be learned in a few classes that one really doesn't want to do. I have a concern about jumping into feeding the public without more knowledge. Please take above advice seriously. That being said, should one want to learn, then call about instruction through one form or another. One of the best classes I've heard of The Milroy's of Texas Rib fame. If they still offer or somewhere else. You have a bunch of great food people in your region, I would start there.Please consider insurance should you have a problem. Good luck. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Your HACCP plan needs to be very descriptive, and based on your particular equipment and operation - Best not to "shortcut", or use a cookie cutter approach on this. You need both a ServSafe and HAACP certification to complete properly.

Best advice is to go slow - Sounds like you're still in the investigative stage on this, and it is a good time to solicit and align resources. Best of luck!
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

The best thing to do is go work for someone. Classes dont do shart but basic knowledge. The best way is the school of hard knocks. A couple months in a busy kitchen you will know what you want to do.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
GQue

Thanks for the suggestions and tips - All very helpfull. I Have an appt with health dept next week spoke to them over the phone before and they are helpfull its just so much red tape was hoping someone had completed something similar that they could forward so that it would not be starting from scratch. I am trying to prevent as much back and forth as possible. At the end of this process I will have a completed packet if anyone ever needs one.
CBJ #520282

Unread 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
take a servsafe course if you haven't. You'll need it to do the plan. I did one in MI and they are very custom. I'm really busy until the new year but if you still need help then, pm me and i'll talk to you about what goes into them. Hopefully in the meantime somebody from CO will help you out.
If you can wait my offer stands but keep in mind that you will probably still need the course to go operational.

Unread 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
OL' Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
Your HACCP plan needs to be very descriptive, and based on your particular equipment and operation - Best not to "shortcut", or use a cookie cutter approach on this. You need both a ServSafe and HAACP certification to complete properly.
When I got my Culinary Arts Degree in 94 we had to have HACCP cert to graduate. My course was 2 semesters and it was a ServSafe course.