The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default How much charcoal should I use tomorrow?

I changing too many things for my cook tomorrow and could use a suggestion for how much charcoal to put in my basket and how much to light. I'm planning on getting up at 5:30am tomorrow and lighting my UDS with a terra cotta diffuser for a 7lb pork butt. I'm targeting cooking in the 250* - 275*. It's supposed to be around 25* outside. I got 1/3 a bag of Kingsford and several 10lb bags of Royal Oak BRICKETTES. This will be my first long cook with a diffuser, first cook with RO brickettes, and first long cook in this cold of weather. I really don't want to run out of fire 2/3 of the way through.

Thanks,

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

Wether I'm cooking one moink or 40 lbs of meat I fill my basket up so there is no second guessing and no haveing to refill in the middle. I light about 10 or so coals or hit with the weed burner and catch the temp on the way up to my target temp. Then just keep 1/2 an eye on it till done.

JMHO.........

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

fill the basket. you can always snuff it out when you are done cooking and have charcoal for next time.

Unread 12-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I cook on my drums all winter with a terra cotta heat diffuser / grease catcher and light a full chimney each time. My charcoal basket holds a little more than a full bag, so i just fill it all the way up. Catch the temps on the way up and it doesn't really matter how much charcoal your lite.

Unread 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Wether I'm cooking one moink or 40 lbs of meat I fill my basket up so there is no second guessing and no haveing to refill in the middle. I light about 10 or so coals or hit with the weed burner and catch the temp on the way up to my target temp. Then just keep 1/2 an eye on it till done.

JMHO.........

Paul B
SS UDS
what he said..lol

once i got her up to temps, i didnt notice any difference in the times it to cook the piece of meat than anyother time( it was 35* out - Northern Ontario)..the UDS held temps same as it was 60* out..all with royal oak briquettes..

as for a diffuser in a UDS, i didnt find that the 10" terracotta made much of difference for my times..not sure if any other size would have made that big of a difference.

didnt happen without pics sooooo...

10.56 lb shoulder -

jtwisted13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm not sure how big your baskets are though... I made mine 13.5" dia and 12" tall. I think most are more like 8" tall. My metal was 12" tall so that is what I went with.

I've been typically loading in 2/3 of a bag of kingsford and have enough for 10 hours. I think I'll go ahead and use all of the 10lbs of royal oak and the 3 lbs of kingsford. It should be more than enough.

I do snuff it out. But often my charcoal gets a little moisture prior to my next use and isn't good. Not always, but enough that I don't want to just load in too much. Especially now that it is winter and charcoal isn't onsale every week.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote