ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Bacon bacon bacon

Thanks to SmokinAussie's post I want to try making bacon. Went to Restaurant Depot and they have a 50lb box of frozen pork rib bellies with skin on. First of all thats a lot of bacon second I don't even know if that is what to use. So may I ask the experts...

What cut of pork?
How to cut?
How to flavor?
How to cure?
How to smoke?

Unread 12-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Cowgirl's (Jeanie) blog is a good place to start.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ing-bacon.html
Grillman is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

do a google search for "old time bacon brine" Thats where i got my brine from but its been a lot of years since I done it. If its an old recipie the cut the salt by 50% at least. If I rember right it was, 2ts salt petre, 2ts ground all spice, 1 qt pure maple syrup and start with 2.5 gallons of water. add bacon slabs to the mix fill container with enough water to cover the slabs. soak in brine for 20 days at 38*-42*F. day 21 remove frome brine, rinse well, smoke on slow smoker 125*F-150*F 8-10hrs. allow to cool, slice, package, freeze or store. again this is from memory but found on goolge. I hope this helps. The recipie was very good and is for 100lbs of bacon

P.S. make sure the slabs are completely submerged in the brine. I used a plate topped with a gallon milk jug filled with water to hold the bacons under.

Last edited by chromestacks; 12-08-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: additional info on P.S.
chromestacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Woa Man... thanks for the credit!

But helll... 50 pounds of pork belly is way too much for a first attempt at bacon. I just recommend you go to a local butcher and get one or 2 bellies, nice and fresh.

As mentioned before... the recipe is here...

It's dead simple. Just patience and time and passion... all you need.

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

That book is on my Christmas list! I hope Santa Pig is reading this!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Louisiana Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That book is on my Christmas list! I hope Santa Pig is reading this!
I will buy it for you if you buy it for me
Louisiana Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's a link to the process.. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...d-smoking.html

also an old post ...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53606

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=53606&page=4

you mainly want to get your cure amounts right.. (whether you use a dry cure or wet cure) pink salt, tender quick, etc.. You need to know the weight of the meat.

The seasonings and spices are fun to experiment with.

Good luck!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Here's a link to the process.. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...d-smoking.html

also an old post ...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53606

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=53606&page=4

you mainly want to get your cure amounts right.. (whether you use a dry cure or wet cure) pink salt, tender quick, etc.. You need to know the weight of the meat.

The seasonings and spices are fun to experiment with.

Good luck!
OK nice site and pics! a little humbling to say the least. Can I use my regular smoker and try to keep the temp down? shouldn't be hard it,s 20F outside. Also what would be the difference if I lay them on a rack as opposed to hanging?

Unread 12-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
thull
On the road to being a farker

I've actually made the leap and bought the box from RD before. I'm still finishing the new cold smoker to get ready to do it again.

One thought- the RD bellies were kind of skinny. I suspect the nice thick ones get pulled up the line to go to the real bacon makers. I still don't know how to deal with the skin- cutting it all off with my sharpest Japanese knife was still a PITA.

I ended up brining before smoking b/c the brine time was only 3 days, as opposed to 7 days to dry cure (and maybe overdo the salt). I'm forgetting where I got the brine recipe, but I think it was a scaled up version of the brine in Charcuterie for ham hocks, with the salt-to-sugar ratio adjusted to about 50:50.

I think you'd do fine if you can run your smoker at around 180F. And I'd try to hang the slabs if you can- I rigged up some hangers from coat hangers that worked decent.
thull is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

I got my start from cowgirls site, great recipe to follow! I really prefer the dry brine, wet brine is like all the other junk you get in the store, dry has way better flavor and texture.

When it comes to ingredients that have sugar in them, don't get too carried away, the sugar will burn when you fry if you have too much in the cure

As for cooking, I try to keep my pit at 100* or less for about 5+ hours or until it has nice color, cool and then slice... If you can wait that long.
KnucklHed BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoolcold View Post
OK nice site and pics! a little humbling to say the least. Can I use my regular smoker and try to keep the temp down? shouldn't be hard it,s 20F outside. Also what would be the difference if I lay them on a rack as opposed to hanging?
Thanks! You could probably use your regular smoker.. just a few coals and wood chips, even a bowl of ice will bring the inside temperature down below 100 F. OR you can hot smoke it.. just cook the whole slab.

Laying the meat on the rack works fine. Make sure the bacon is dry before smoking, the smoke will streak. Also don't forget to rinse the cure off before smoking..
Good luck with it!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote