The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
darita
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Just wanted to post this pic to compare with Ron's. This was a reverse sear done at 225* (for about 4 hours), bone side down, done to an internal temp of 124* (virtually the same temp as Ron's). I then let it rest, tented under foil for 20 minutes while I brought the temp up to about 600* and seared it for just a couple minutes per side.

First I wanted to mention that there was an article posted last year that I didn't bookmark that discussed the reverse searing technique and I believe their analysis involved weighing roasts during the cook as a measure of juices retained. According to that article (as I remember it) searing beforehand or not searing at all resulted in more loss of juice than searing afterward. In any case, I don't think it is too critical one way or the other. In my opinion it is much more critical to let your roast rest sufficiently before cutting into it! Perhaps someone remembers this article and can repost it, as there will be lots of questions about cooking prime rib in the next couple weeks.

What I wanted to point out was the differences between the two cooks. The quick, hot sear resulted in a crust on mine, but when cut, note that the doneness does not penetrate. That is a result of the other difference, the temperature. Ron cooked his roast at 275*. Note the coloration in his. The brown on the edges extends farther inward. At 225*, the pinkness is more uniform out to the edge. I am not saying one is better than the other. I actually like very much the outer edge being cooked more than the inside. The techniques do give different results though and what you decide should depend on your personal preference.

Essentially:
1. Searing at high heat and quickly affects primarily the crust.
2. Lower heat makes a more uniformly cooked roast.

I hope this helps clarify a few things.
That looks ridiculous! I can almost taste it! Looks like I will be reverse searing. I appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Great comparison! I'm not sure that I would have even noticed the more cooked area at the edges on mine with out your pics to compare to!

The roast in my pic was a BGE cook and what I have been doing more of recently. However, when the comp season is done and my FEC-100 is out of the trailer, i really prefer the FEC-100 for prime rib. Stuart, the president of Cookshack, posted his prime rib method (and an updated version) a while ago and I use it with fantastic results. I like his original method better. Basically, he cooks the roast at 250 degrees until your desired internal temp and then drops the FEC-100 temp to 140 degrees and holds the Prime Rib in the cooker for at least four hours. The hold time allows the juices and flavor to circulate throughout the roast. It really produces great results. You could do a reverse sear after the hold time but I haven't tried this.
Thanks for the info, Ron. I didn't even get into the different types of cookers. That is yet another HUGE variable that really affects results. In this case, you used a BGE and I used a Primo. Essentially these are the same. And excellent point about the hold time. I let mine sit for 20 minutes, then did the sear. I'm not sure how long I let it set after that, but probably 10 more. This hold time is critical to keeping those juices in the roast when you cut it, rather than all over your cutting board. That's a very interesting idea to hold for 4 hours at 140*. I don't think that's possible on the Primo after bringing it up to 600* for a sear.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another no sear here. I like to cook 275/300 til internal is 128 (That appears to be my magic number) then cover with foil for at least 30 minutes:

deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
QDoc
Full Fledged Farker

I was taught to cook thick steaks and roasts by searing first then transfering to lower heat ie for steaks about 500* indirect and for roasts about 375-400*. I think you have better final control with this method.
QDoc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

There is no way I'd sear a rib roast first. If you want to put some crust on it, give it a sear at the end.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

So, what's the fuel? I've done pretty well with steering clear of any added smokewood (just using lump). Anyone using smokewood?

Unread 12-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
Campfire Girl
On the road to being a farker

I think it depends on the size of the roast. I seared the one I did for the virgin throwdown. It was only 3 lbs.

I got plenty of smoke flavor and was a perfect med rare.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...99#post1475599

Page 10 Post 141

Unread 12-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #23
hogsfan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post
So, what's the fuel? I've done pretty well with steering clear of any added smokewood (just using lump). Anyone using smokewood?
I did one last weekend on the rotis with 2 medium sized chunks of both cherry and Hickory. I liked it a lot.

I've done 5-6 of these over the last year or so and each time I try something new. My conclusion is if you have a meat thermometer and a good choice cut, you can't really mess it up.

Rotis or not, charcoal or gas, high heat or low, smoke wood or not...It always turns out awesome. It's a great cut.
hogsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

here's a good article that examines a little more. http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/w...-wet-aged.html