The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Tricky
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Chimney on UDS -- needed?

My UDS drum lid didn't have the 2" threaded bung hole that many lids have, so I just drilled three closely-spaced 1" holes for my exhaust (I later realized that you actually need FOUR 1" holes to get the same area as a 2" hole, but I was lucky to remember what pi was in the first place...)

My question is whether the addition of a short chimney has any real effect on the ability of your exhaust vent to draw off the exhaust. I've heard about "draw" and some seem to discuss a sort of "chimney effect," but is that real? Is there any reason to think that a 2" hole will vent any differently than a 2" hole with a 6" chimney pipe?

I'm no scientist but would appreciate an explanation from someone who is (or at least does a good job of impersonating one), or from those who simply know the answer from personal experience using their cooker.
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quite a few of the first UDSs had eight or so evenly spaced holes around the edge of the lid for exhaust - no stack or chimney needed.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
iamthewreckingcrew
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a lid with the 2" hole and no chimney. It works fine in decent weather. I've found though that in windy weather that if I put my charcoal chimney over the hole upside down, it maintains a steady temp better. I first did the upside down charcoal chimney thing with a paver over the top for rainy day cooks. Keeps rain from getting into my cooker, but lets it exhaust. Long story short...I'm going to add a chimney to mine. Just need to find a way to make it so rain won't get into it, or I might as well just keep doing what I've done in the past.

Unread 12-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
Soapm
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewreckingcrew View Post
I have a lid with the 2" hole and no chimney. It works fine in decent weather. I've found though that in windy weather that if I put my charcoal chimney over the hole upside down, it maintains a steady temp better. I first did the upside down charcoal chimney thing with a paver over the top for rainy day cooks. Keeps rain from getting into my cooker, but lets it exhaust. Long story short...I'm going to add a chimney to mine. Just need to find a way to make it so rain won't get into it, or I might as well just keep doing what I've done in the past.
Get a rain hood like for a water heater exhaust pipe...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
DesMar
Knows what a fatty is.

I put a 2 in short nipple and a exhaust tip for a car with the exit hole on the side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS044.jpg (31.8 KB, 172 views)

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Exhaust pipes have advantages. They personalize your cooker, look cool, and many deigns can be adjusted to keep wind and rain out.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I have 8 holes with no sort of exhaust pipe. Works like a champ....

Unread 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

My SSUDS had a 2" (pipe) bung hole, which is actually 2-3/8". It tended to run hot, especially on windy days, so I added a 9" chimney, which did the trick. I discovered one rainy day that I needed a rain cap as well. Add to that a solid cap to snuff the fire quickly when the cookin's done.

Unread 12-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

You would benefit from a chimney where I live. It's often windy here. In fact, I was planning to smoke today on the OTG, but there is a steady wind of 15 MPH, gusting into the mid 20s. It blows right down the top vent, messing up my temperatures.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Always raining over here so a flat lid wasn't even considered. I have three I can screw in. all stainless- 14"X2",a 45*,and a 6"X2" with a cap.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote