MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
misterrachel
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket smoking advice for a hybrid recipe

If I want to sub a smoked brisket in place of a crockpot recipe that typically calls for a regular uncooked brisket...do I just smoke the brisket for a couple hours to get the ring and flavor and then finish the cook in the crockpot? Or, would I finish the cook in the UDS and then put it in the crockpot (it'd be another 12 hours of cooking)?

Thoughts?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Two to three hours should suffice, or until it hits about 160-165 internal, whichever comes first. Or just cook the whole thing in the crockpot and use liquid smoke for smoke flavor. The smoke ring doesn't really matter a whole lot flavor-wise, it is just appearance really.

Now I have to go to the penalty box for all the things I have said and thought.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Have you considered moving the entire recipe from the crock pot into a cast iron pot in the smoker? If it's a smoky flavor you're looking for, you'll get better results that way. Just sayin'....
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote