The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Teriyaki Spare Ribs Dry Rub???

I picked up a couple slabs of spares, Farmer John Cryovac, at Smart & Final. I want to make some Teriyaki ribs to take to a buddies on Saturday night. Any advice? Particularly in the rub dept. would be appreciated.

Thanks
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

If your gonna glaze them with teriyaki, i wouldnt do anything that would add or change or take the flavor away from the teriyaki. Maybe a simple rub with some S&P and brown sugar, and a touch of garlic and/or onion.... optionally a touch of Szechuan Chile powder or cayenne if you want add some spike to them, but stay away from the cumins and paprikas. Spraying with diluted pineapple juice may also work well. The last hours or so I'd start glazing them with the teryaki. Give the teriyakai some body(thicken a little). I would use saucy susan or duck sauce or something along those lines added to the teriyaki to help it glaze and carmelize... Maybe a touch of honey, but that may get to sweet.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Check the asain section at the grocery store. They should have a rub/spice for asian ribs. Should go well with teriyaki.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
use saucy susan
Is she easy ?

Unread 10-20-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

If you want to really hook these bad boys up check this recipe which doubles as a marinade and then a mop (after you boil the left-over marinade).This is a Paul Kirk recipe from one of his older books.

Polynesian Marinade n' Mop

1 cup pineapple juice
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup sweet sherry
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup granulated cane sugar or firmly packed brown sugar (I prefer to use brown sugar)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons dry mustard
½ teaspoon cayenne or too taste (I personally do not use the cayenne)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water

Combine all ingredients except for the cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stir to dissolve the spices and sugar. Reduce the heat to medium low. Combine the cornstarch and water. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring the mixture back to a boil and blend in the cornstarch / water mixture, stir until smooth and glossy. Take off heat and let cool.
For chicken and ribs (I like this on the country style ribs) marinate for 4-5 hours or overnight. I reserve the marinade to use as a mop. Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. This will make it safe to use as a mop. I start mopping about halfway through my cooking time and mop every ½ to 1 hour or when the smoker is open until done.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2004, 10:01 PM   #6
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

I picked up some Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce. I'll go with Phil's simple rub suggestion. That Paul Kirik recipe sounds great. I'll do that next. Maybe with chicken thighs too.

Thanks!
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2004, 03:36 AM   #7
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samichlaus
I picked up some Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce. I'll go with Phil's simple rub suggestion. That Paul Kirik recipe sounds great. I'll do that next. Maybe with chicken thighs too.

Thanks!
Yoshida's is a great product. Use it all the time in my marinades and sauces.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2004, 08:54 AM   #8
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Big Belly's Polynesian Marinade n' Mop sounds real good. I'd just add fresh grated ginger

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote