喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Vince RnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Now that the competition season is over for most of the country, I was wondering what meats, if any, you are thinking about making changes to? We are always open to making tweaks and small adjustments throughout the year but my question is related to making a pretty big change in methodology or in flavor, etc.

Here's what we've been talking about adjusting over the next few months:

Chicken - Not much change planned here. We're pretty happy with the results we've been getting this season and so, aside from those tweaks I mentioned above, we probably won't spend much time working on this meat.

Ribs - We made some major changes from 2009 to 2010 and fortunately our scores improved. We're much more satisfied with the texture we are achieving but we think there's a lot of room for improvement in color and flavor. Looks like we'll finally be able to make use of all those trimmed and vacuum sealed racks that ended up in the freezer over the course of the year!

Pork - Only minor changes planned for this meat. The changes we made for the 2010 season allowed us to turn out some of the best pork we've ever cooked so the changes will probably be very small. We like where we're at with pork right now.

Brisket - This is one meat where we think we have the greatest opportunity for improvement from 2010 to 2011. Although we've had some really great calls in Brisket this year, we've also had some results that cost us dearly in the Overall. I guess this meat feels like our least consistent so we're going to work on this one and see if we can improve it based on all the things we've learned throughout the year.

OK, what about you?
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I'm looking at changing a few things:

Chicken: We did okay here but, will be trying a different rub mix

Ribs: We did terrible (only one call all year) - looking at a complete revamp, been testing rubs to finishing sauces to cooking temps, etc. Planning on taking a cooking class mainly for help here.

Pork: We did great here - no major changes, but will be trying to use the UDS for cooking - not sure if we'll use it in contests yet.

Brisket: We did great here also - no major changes other than trying the UDS to see if I can get a better smoke ring.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Next year will be first year competing. Will finish up my master judge requirements sometime in April and then hope to do a few contest and finish up at the Royal. So I am adjusting everything at this moment. I feel pretty solid on brisket. Still doing some minor adjustments on pork and chicken and am at scratch with ribs. Looking forward to every weekend from now till the season opens back up.
mobow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Ribs were top 10 everywhere we went, pork most places.

We are awesome at making 13th place chicken, so that will be the first one we work on. Plus, I think we will different cuts used more next year on the circuit. The reign of the thigh is coming to an end.
HandsomeSwede is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Great topic!..we have been really happy with our brisket and pork finishes this year,and when those two meats have not placed well I went back to pictures and and notes..all my fault rookie mistakes!..either overcooked or bark not set up well enough,so as far as those two we aren't really going to change too much,chicken and ribs have been all over the place but we just got a new Mak 2 star pellet smoker so I have already been practicing with chicken and ribs on it.I really like the results so far the color is just what I've been looking for and the ability to be able to ramp it up to a higher heat to finish is just a turn of a knob!.so those are our changes but were gonna be ready to use them a Tom's farms..here is a pic of some of the ribs do you like the color?
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoa...440847709&_rdr
Our website:
http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I'll be making some changes.

Chicken - Going with whole rotisserie game hen leg quarters. They're juicy, have crispy skin and look good in a box.

Brisket - doing ok here, probably won't change much.

Pork - got one 7th place call this year. Going to start injecting with my Carolina mustard sauce and see if that takes it up any.

Ribs - biggest change here. Have always done spares in the past, but began playing with BBs and have decided I like them better. Same method, same rub, same sauce... just different rib.

We'll see.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Scottie
Babbling Farker

I'm going with just salt and pepper and Kraft BBQ Sauce...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
AZScott
Take a breath!

2010 was our rookie year so we're making some big changes. The first change is moving from 3 BGE's to 1 BGE and an FEC 100. I am so tired of moving eggs and worrying about breaking them. It will also be nice to get the consistency of an FEC 100. The other major thing is I'm going to try and get away from the "feel" of the meat to a temperature. We have been too hit or miss using a toothpick to test for tenderness. Many of the ideas we have for the off season are coming from a class that we took a week ago with Plowboys.

Chicken: Our chicken has been our weakest meat by far and is the one we're changing the most. We are trying everything we can think of between now and late February.

Ribs: We have finally found out a couple of mistakes we were making as far as seasoning is concerned. We'll be practicing with spares and BB's on each cook to find which product is more consistent.

Pork: We're going to change it very little. I'm going to find one source of pork and use that exclusively. Last year we used bone in and boneless from 4 different sources for 4 different contests. We're also going to find a sauce for pork rather than changing it every contest.

Brisket: We are looking to possibly tweak the sauce a little bit but nothing drastic. Right now this is our best category.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Vince RnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P01Shooter View Post
We're also going to find a sauce for pork rather than changing it every contest.

Scottie recommends Kraft.

Always trust a World Champion!

On the other had, America seems to be in love with the McRib so maybe you should try that sauce too.

Last edited by Vince RnQ; 11-29-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I'm going with just salt and pepper and Kraft BBQ Sauce...
I know a couple of guys that just go with salt, pepper, and Ketchup...just ask them

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I'll be making some changes.

Chicken - Going with whole rotisserie game hen leg quarters. They're juicy, have crispy skin and look good in a box.
I'm intrigued. Can you post some pictures? I'd love to see what you're talking about.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
Scottie recommends Kraft.

Always trust a World Champion!

On the other had, America seems to be in love with the McRib so maybe you should try that sauce too.
I've tried to buy McDonald's BBQ Sauce... they said I couldn't get it and we represent McDonald's!!!! Otherwise I would use that instead of Kraft!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Dont know which one but I am taking a class this winter, looking to be more consistent . Chicken still sucks the other 3 mostly good but you always can improve .
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I've tried to buy McDonald's BBQ Sauce... they said I couldn't get it and we represent McDonald's!!!! Otherwise I would use that instead of Kraft!!!
I have 15 packs of McDonalds BBQ sauce at home. One more rib placing like my last contest and it might be game on.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Scottie, all I have to do is smile and ask nicely during McRib promotions.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote