The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Reverse sear Tri-Tip on Small BGE (pron)

I'd read some past posts on reverse sear Tri-Tips that looked really good and so last night I gave it a shot.

My wife had picked up some Kinder's marinade a while back that I hadn't tried before so I thought I'd give it a try along with GreenLeaf BBQ's Wine Infused Oak "beans". After taking this pic I decided to add some of Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks rub.

Set up Yoda the Small BGE for some indirect cooking around 350-375 and put on the steak:

I went inside after this and did a search on reverse sear to see what temps fellow brethren typically cook the tri tip to before searing and found JD McGee's post of his reverse sear on a BGE. Wish I had seen it before I started cooking as putting the cast iron grill in under the plate setter so it heats up nicely would have saved me a little time later. That's what I love about the BBQ Brethren - I'm always learning something new.

I pulled the steak at 120, put in my cast iron grill, and let the steak rest while heating up the grill and increasing the BGE temp up to about 500. During the rest IT climbed up to about 125 and I put it back on the grill:

Seared for a couple of minutes per side and pulled it at 135-137 IT and let it rest under foil for about 8-10 minutes and it looked like this before slicing:

Sliced it thin across the grain, plated it with my wife's bean salad and a dinner roll and dinner was served:

It was a successful dinner. The Mrs & I enjoyed the subtle smokiness from the wine infused oak and the tender juicy tri tip.

Thanks for looking and thanks to several brethren for their past posts on reverse searing!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Goin Que Que
On the road to being a farker

yummy! Tri-Tip is the best cut of meat IMO
you knocked it out of the park with that one.

John
Goin Que Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

WOW!
Hey John is there any left?
I'm on the way, I'll call when I hit town.

"Brown it's cookin', Black it's done"....................Dad.
Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote