ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Pa_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Entering Competitions?

Do some competitions offer an amateur class, I would love to enter some small competitions but have never competed and not ready for the big dogs. :)
It would be fun to experience though and meet others who are experienced doing it.

Also does anyone know of any competitions in the northwestern PA, southwestern NY areas?

Unread 11-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Pa,
Just find a local comp and enter it. That's what I did.
I went as a spectator once, and hung out with a couple of teams just to watch and see how everything got done. Finally I just decided to do one.
Cooked everything the same as I would cook it at home, got 2 calls, and finished 11th overall.
You will not be disappointed, but be prepared to do it again and again and again.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Just jump in with both feet. You maybe won't win or get a call but you'll have a great time, meet fantastic people and learn tons.

Unread 11-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I agree. Jump in, make a goal just to meet all turn in times, and have fun.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

For KCBS sanctioned events the best source of info if the KCBS web site. Some of these competitions also have an amateur or backyard category.

PA 2011 Competitions

Feel free to repeat the search on your own for other states. Also, this list will grow as we get closer to 2011

You should also check local BBQ groups like NEBS

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You should also check local BBQ groups like NEBS
NEBS offers a lot of Backyard type contests. If you go on the web site and look under NEBS Events you can see the ones we had this year.

-Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Jump in and have fun! Most competitions have a "backyard" division, but even if they don't you can still enter. The "season" will start again in April across most of the country. Through the deep winter, most contests are in Florida and California but there are a few exceptions.

Be sure and read the rules, though! These can be found on the sanctioning website (KCBS, state assn.'s, etc.) or from the sponsor, usually. If you have any questions about them, pop them into this forum for experienced answers.

Hub
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

I know how you feel, I was scared to try and make a fool of myself.I did a backyard comp. this year. Now I'm hooked had a great time met some good people and learned a lot. The hard part for me was all my family and friends said my Q was good. I thought what else can they say they are eating for FREE. Its hard to put yourself out there to be honestly judged against others that seem like PROS. Believe me,you will have a GREAT time and everyone is just like you they love to make good BBQ and looking to get better. GO for it.
By the way, I finished 1st in appetizer, 2nd in Pork Steaks. 4th in Ribs, and 2nd overall. Like I said I'm hooked.l

Unread 11-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

You've gotten a ton of good advice here! We started by jumping right in, too.

Most teams are more than happy to see newcomers -- in our area we generally have new teams identify themselves at the cooks' meeting, so that we can give them a hand (applause) at the meeting and give them a hand (help) in the field if they need it. Everyone at comps is just like people here on the forum -- more than willing to answer questions, or share extra supplies if you've forgotten something, and invite you to the mid-morning good-luck shot.

Enter, have fun, practice first, have a plan, and execute it. If you executed your plan the way you wanted to, learned something, and had a blast, then you've achieved your goals for that contest!

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Pa_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone, as I browse over the website it looks like a lot of fun. It is probably like so many other things and the camaraderie with other people loving the same thing makes it so much fun.

Unread 11-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

No better place to start than Roc City Rib Fest in Rochester, NY over Memorial Day Weekend. A great contest put together by actual competitors who have seen the best and the worst the east coast has to offer. An open/backyard rib only comp the first day you can compete in and then hang out with the teams for the next day's full KCBS comp to get a feel. Shouldn't be too far a drive either.

Unread 11-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I started last year and I was lucky enough to meet up with Ford down in Mobile AL and watch and help him. It was down hill from there I competed in over half a dozen comps this year as a pro and took home several trophies including a reserve grand. If you can find a brethren member close go and help out it will answer many questions you have about competing good luck

Unread 11-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Last year there were a lot of new teams competing (at least one at every contest I did) and we were very supportive of them. If you forget something, at least one team will be there to help you out. The support is awesome and you will not be dissapointed. So please give it a go. The hardest thing you will run up against is the timing, a ten minute window feels like two minutes during the heat of a comp, so just practice, practice more, and practice once again. Hope to see you on the BBQ trail - happy smoking.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeSwede View Post
No better place to start than Roc City Rib Fest in Rochester, NY over Memorial Day Weekend. A great contest put together by actual competitors who have seen the best and the worst the east coast has to offer. An open/backyard rib only comp the first day you can compete in and then hang out with the teams for the next day's full class will be alot of fun. CBS comp to get a feel. Shouldn't be too far a drive either.
And there will be a class at Roc City also! I second that - great contest with multiple events , wade in as deep as you want, and you will be hooked!

Unread 11-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Pa_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I am definitely going to give it a try, hope to finally meet some of you guys who have helped so much in person.