The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Gersidi
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Alto-Shaam

Anyone have any experience holding bbq in alto-shaam cabinets in a restaurant/catering environment? I'm curious as to how long they can hold ribs for, and what the final product is like (taste, texture, moisture) after being held in them.
Gersidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

I use a couple of Metro holding units at the Hut. You can vary the humidity with a couple of vents. I keep the pulled pork in 2 1/2" deep half trays covered with a lid. Brisket kept whole in a full tray (cut to order) with a bit of the house wash in the tray to keep it moist & covered with foil.

For ribs (I do a St. Louis cut spare), I keep them in a full tray covered with foil or a tray lid (depending on how many ribs in the pan). I dry rub my ribs - no sticky ribs - so they keep their crust nicely in the holding unit with a small bit of apple cider sprayed in the pan. If my customers are to be believed - & I tend to believe them based on ribs sales - taste, texture & moisture are the best they've ever had with spare ribs.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I know a lot of guys that use them and they all hold very well. You really dont have many options when it comes to holding food. I have electric cambros and they hold very well. Just dont have temp control. I have seen guys hold meat at vending sites overnight in altoshams. I wouldnt say that is a great idea but it worked.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

One note - do not run the Altos at more than around 180º I run my Metros at 180º & it keeps the meat from over cooking / drying out plus satisfies the HD inspectors when they drop by.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

They work great, we wrapped the meat in plastic wrap and put in Alto Sham. At the end of the day what was not sold went in the walk in and in the morning they went back in the Alto Sham for the early lunch crowd. You have to walk a fine line with BBQ since it takes so long to cook and you don't want to run out too early and don't want to have too much left over. The Alto Sham gives you a little leeway.

Unread 12-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Gersidi
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the great answers guys, exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Gersidi is offline   Reply With Quote