oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Default Will this make a good brine??For a enhanced turkey

I add ed a few flavors to a brine I found.Im just scared it could be too salty??

1 box chicken stock
1/4 Cup salt
1/2 brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground Thyme
1/2 tablespoon ground rosemary
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 1/2 tablespoon Plowboys Yardbird rub
1 Gallon of water
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Might be low on the salt, depending on how much is in the Chicken Stock. The minimum amount of salt per gallon of brine is usually 1/2 cup per gallon. Other than that, it looks like a winner to me!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Kevin Garceau
On the road to being a farker

Interested as well - wife bought the turkey and picked one up that has 8% solution added - would like to add some more flavor to it.

Will be frying mine, going to rub pretty liberally as well.
Kevin Garceau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
bigabyte

I missed the part about "enhanced"! I guess your brine is spot on then! Although...I have to wonder how it is a brine with that little salt...but oh well!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I missed the part about "enhanced"! I guess your brine is spot on then! Although...I have to wonder how it is a brine with that little salt...but oh well!
I was just scared maybe the Yardbird and chicken broth would salt

Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBrandon2785 View Post
I was just scared maybe the Yardbird and chicken broth would salt
They will add salt, but probably not 1/4 cup worth of salt. You might get close to a tablespoon from the Plowboys (probably less), leaving you with 3 more tablespoons of salt to get to 1/2 cup total. I'm not sure how much salt is in that broth...but considering it is just one box, there is probably not 3 tablespoons in there or else the broth itself would taste like a brine.

Until this year, I never heard about cutting the salt in half for enhanced birds. I've cooked enhanced birds before and brined them in solutions using 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, and had no problems at all. However, considering who the folks are that were suggesting that the salt be cut in half, I believe they know something. However, I do believe the rule still remains that anything less than 1/2 cup per gallon is not a brine, whether it is an enhanced bird or not. I'll let them speak to this however.

Duh.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
They will add salt, but probably not 1/4 cup worth of salt. You might get close to a tablespoon from the Plowboys (probably less), leaving you with 3 more tablespoons of salt to get to 1/2 cup total. I'm not sure how much salt is in that broth...but considering it is just one box, there is probably not 3 tablespoons in there or else the broth itself would taste like a brine.

Until this year, I never heard about cutting the salt in half for enhanced birds. I've cooked enhanced birds before and brined them in solutions using 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, and had no problems at all. However, considering who the folks are that were suggesting that the salt be cut in half, I believe they know something. However, I do believe the rule still remains that anything less than 1/2 cup per gallon is not a brine, whether it is an enhanced bird or not. I'll let them speak to this however.
I added in between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of salt.I called it 1/4 just because I wasent exactly sure of the measurement.Im sure that is not a big deal that it wont make a diffrence,but it's too late that sucker has been soaking for about 5 hours now.Im just hoping between the enhanced bird,the some what brine and the injecter kit it will be as juicy as can be.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
bigabyte

I'm sure you'll be fine from the sound of it then!

Duh.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

It sounds decent to me too. I agree with earlier posts (check the ingredients in the broth). Not familiar with the plowboys rub either and I would check that also, especially since you are adding the other herbs and spice. Don't want a clash.