THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F

Flyer75

The Friday I'm doing my first turkey. I have a UDS. I know recipes for brine so I'm good there.

I have no clue where to go from there on how to smoke a turkey. I've done pulled pork and ribs numerous times and always turned out good. Can someone give me a step by step process on this or just post a link to a good recipe/process on how to do this. I need to know prep, smoking, and post smoke procedures. Not sure how this will turn out...:crazy:....any help is much appreciated! thanks.

I did my first turkey yesterday and followed the steps I learned on here. Here's what I did.

Brine- You said you were okay there.

Rubbed my 12 lb turkey with cooking oil/vegetable oil.

I heated my smoker to 315 degrees. While smoker was heating I put a ziploc bag of ice on the breast to get it colder than the rest of the bird. This helped the breast and the rest of the bird get ready at same time. Placed turkey, breast side up on my Stumps Baby gravity feed smoker. Temp dropped to 300 degrees where I locked it in and placed an aluminum cooking pan on the shelf beneath the bird to catch drippins.

I smoked for 3 hrs. At the two hour mark I placed a piece of foil over the legs so they would not burn.

At the three hour mark I used a probe thermometer and it read 170 all over. I pulled and let it rest. After it rested and cooled off I sliced it. It turned out just right.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bama...a couple of specific questions:

One, before putting the bird in the brine, do I thaw it out??? I assume yes.

Two, how long did you let it rest for? And did you wrap it at all while resting?

Yes, thaw it out. Otherwise the brine won't be able to do it's thing.

I typically let my birds rest for 20 - 30 minutes after taking it out of the cooker. I tent it with foil to hold in the heat.

thanks to everyone for the help. Turkey turned out way better then I expected. Looked awesome. Family was very pleased. My sister-in-law commented that I should take a pic of it cause "it looked so pretty".

Thanks again.

Back