Fattie stuffed Chicken

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
This is going to be for the Apple throwdown. I know people normally like to surprise everyone with their awesomeness, but I'm going to be breaking mostly new ground for myself. I'm wanting to avoid creating a mound of uneatable meat. So, I was hoping I could share with you all my plans and get any suggestions and make sure this turns out amazing.

What I'm planning is:
1) Take a roaster chicken and remove the spine, then breast bone, then try to remove the rib cage. I'm thinking I'll just work with the breast? Seams easier.
2) Brine the chicken in something like PatioDaddio's Ultimate Brine, but swap the oranges for apples - since it is the Apple TD. I'm thinking granny smith apples? Something to give it some tang? Brine 3 -4 hours.
3) Slice up 1 -2 apples, about 1/4" thick. Probably honey crisp or something sweet. Then roll them inside a JD sausage with a good helping of brown sugar. Light rub on the outside, because I'm going to have rub on the inside of the chicken too.
4) Season the chicken with some Yardbird and wrap the chicken around the fattie and tie it up like a Turducken.
5) Smoke over Apple wood at 250* - 275* until done.

I'm most worried about getting it fully cooked and the chicken not overly cooked. I guess I'll just have to stick a thermometer through the middle and go until the center hits 160*? The iced beast trick won't work, since I'm trying to get what is stuffed under the breast cooked.

I'm wondering if it would be better to pre-cook the apples? My wife has been making some killer homemade applesauce recently. I'm not sure how much the apples will cook down by the time the chicken is done.

I've thought about a layer of apple stuffing inside between the chicken and the sausage, but I'm thinking the chicken will be barely big enough to stretch around the fattie. I think we'll serve it on the side.

I'm also wondering if I can debone a chicken breast and get enough meat to stretch around a fattie... should.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

I think you could find a breast big enough to flatten out to get around a fatty. Definitely cook it until the center is 160 in case any chicken juices seep down into the fatty and the apples. I would not pre-cook the apples. I would suggest a bacon-weave because...crutch be damned, BACON IS GOOD!
...but...at that point with all of that stuff wrapped up around it...that might get to looking more like a bowling ball than a fatty at that point.

Yeah, I'm hip on cookin' inedible chow for the TD's, Done it a few times. Sounds like a good idea you got there. You can fully bone out a chicken pre cooked though, then stuff.

Cool. Sounds like I'm on the right track. If all goes well, there were be photos this weekend. I'm still open to all suggestions.

Well... my turducken inspired apple/fattie/chicken is challenging me. Some good, some bad.

Pretty much just like I planned. I removed the spine, breastbone, and rib cage and then brined for 3 hours in PatioDaddio's Ultimate Brine. My fattie came out perfect. A full honeycrisp apple with a good helping of brown sugar and then sprinkled with Yardbird. The bird was coated w/ EVO and Yardbird. The fattie looked like it would fit nicely. Then I had the issues...

I've never tied meat up before. I tried to just run the twine around the outside and tie. Didn't quite work. Sausage started oozing out everywhere. I pushed it back in and the more I tried to tie it up, the worse it got. At some point I had sausage on every surface on the counter. But, then I started using a knife to cut slits and stitched it shut. I think I got it good enough... But, the fattie basically got run through the blender.

It went on the 325* smoker at 3:20. I'm going to slow the smoker down to cook slower. We'll see how it turns out in a couple hours...

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how this cooks up. I think stitching the chicken shut like a Turducken would have been the way to go, but, this should work out. It is an intriguing idea none the less. Good for taking a risk, I think that is what is best about Throw Downs.

DONE!

2.5 hours latter and the center was at 165* and the thighs were yielding clear juice. Dang, it looked amazing when I took it out and flipped it over! You could see the apple peeking out at one of the seams.

Taste? Pretty tasty. The chicken was super moist. My wife really liked the apples with the sausage and has requested an apple fattie in the future. Being super-critical, I think it could use a little improvement next time to merge the flavors a little more. The sausage was a little breakfastie for me.

Last edited:
awesome job!!! looks great. I guess, at first , I was concerned that to get the sausage done at , say 165, that the breast meat would be overcooked but apparently that was not the case. I like it!

Very nice, it turned out well. I figured since he boned it, the membrane was gone and the sausage would leak fat into the chicken, making it all juicy.

Back