עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default frontier lump question

i tried frontier for the first time yesterday both bags (from lowes) the pieces were either logs or so small they fell through the bottom of the chimney and coal basket. is this normal for them?

Unread 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

yes, it is normal. and it stinks

Unread 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

I've tried a couple bags of Frontier. Junk. I swore off lump as a result of Frontier. Then I drove 20 minutes to Walmart and got a bag of Royal Oak. I was shocked. Much bigger pieces and overall worked well.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I've tried a couple bags of Frontier. Junk. I swore off lump as a result of Frontier. Then I drove 20 minutes to Walmart and got a bag of Royal Oak. I was shocked. Much bigger pieces and overall worked well.
i think i get better flavor from the lump, i have used RO regular and steak house, but i thought i would try the frontier. i dont think i will be making the switch permanent.

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I get those same results from Frontier. Additionally, it is rather inconsistent in how it burns. Some days I get a fire that burns very hot, other days much cooler than average, and this is from the same bag on the same cookers, all set up the same way otherwise.

I'm done with Frontier myself.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Next time get Stubb's
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Yep, I found after three bags or so that was a trend w/ the Frontier, despite the super price at Sam's. I guess you get what you pay for. I heard they didn't have it anymore, anyway.

Try some B&B oak lump if you're near an Academy Sports. (Our's sells 20# bags for $13.) I have found the B&B to be have larger pieces in the bag and last longer than RO lump, and if memory serves me, maybe less carbonized for a little more flavor. Home Depot and Bass Pro Shops also have a couple more I'd like to try, one of them being under the "Western" brand I think, but they both seemed to be pretty heavy bags for the size if I recall.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Next time get Stubb's
You mean Stubb's briquettes?

That's what I've been using in my wsm most of the time, and I really like it, but I'm wondering if I might get more flavor out of a lump. I guess I need to go ahead and get the Cajun Bandit conversion and do a side-by-side comparison!

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

we are fairly limited up here, kingsford briqs and r/o lump are primarily what i find. i just happened to be driving by a lowes so i stopped in and grabbed the frontier. i heard about some "cowboy" or something like that, i havent found it yet though.

Unread 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default lump

I have been using lump from GFS. I don't know the real brand. Anyway, the pieces are huge and seem to burn pretty good. It's about $12 for a 20# bag.

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

My experiences with Cowboy lump were even worse than with Frontier. If you have RO, it is always good (I've never been disappointed). There are other good brands, but they can be harder to find in most areas.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
we are fairly limited up here, kingsford briqs and r/o lump are primarily what i find. i just happened to be driving by a lowes so i stopped in and grabbed the frontier. i heard about some "cowboy" or something like that, i havent found it yet though.
RO lump is fine, but steer clear of the Cowboy brand. That's what our Lowes sell, and it lasts almost long enough to grill hot dogs on. No, seriously, the stuff is just pitiful.

Unread 11-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

I tried Cowboy once, and never again. From what I'm hearing I'll never try Frontier. I've been a Royal Oak fan for a couple of years now. My local Restaurant Depot carries it for $9.87 a 17lb bag, and at that price there's no reason to use the cheap stuff.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

So far, I'm sold on Frontier Lump... (Sam's Club 40# bag for under 15 bucks - the restaurant qualidy) and recently I have found the big pieces to be really, really big. Additionally, I have found a few concrete pieces in there as well.

The really, really small pieces to be a PITA, but I grabbed the cooking grate off my 18.5 weber and put it over the grate of my WSM so the holes were "cross-hatched" and the problem went away. Additionally, when loading I rock the charcoal load back & forth to let the small pieces fill in-between the larger ones to "pack" it. It gives me a long burn the way I like.

I have also tried Royal Oak which is 5 bucks for 8 lbs at Menards. For taste, I like them both equally well and for the cheaper price of Frontier, I'll get more.

Unread 11-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
greg of the BGE
On the road to being a farker

Since Wally World decides not to sell RO Lump during the fall and winter months my choice was 25 bucks for 20# of BGE lump, 10 bucks for 20# of Cowboy or 10 bucks for 20# of Frontier. Since Cowboy ends up with treated wood in their lump, that is not an option. Ruining a hunk of meat with it only happens once unless you are foolish and use that crud again.
ACE was switching to Cowboy but they still had some Frontier in the warehouse so I got 8 20# to get me through until spring and I can get RO again. I agree that it burns inconsistent but my biggest complaint is it does not make it through a night cook. We put a picnic on at 10pm and my son went to bed at 1:30 and it was still sitting at 220. When I got up at 8am it was under 100 and there was almost no wood left. I filled it back to the top of the first ring and by 4pm it was all about gone again, but the pork was butter soft by then and ready to get pulled. Literally. :-)

Pulled pork with BBQ sauce on Sunday night, carnitas tonight and we are also making up a batch of pulled pork with my wife's special sauce today. 1/2 will go in the freezer and the other 1/2 will get eaten as dinner on Wednesday and lunch for the week.
greg of the BGE is offline   Reply With Quote