The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
wizarddrummer
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default can you cook a brisket in a little chef elec smoker?

Hi,

What I know about smoking you can put into a thimble and have room for an air craft carrier with the extra space.

I read lots of posts in this forum about the smoking and elsewhere so i know a little bit, but the only actual experience is from a brinkman barrel smoker that i had about 15 years ago.

The other day, a friend dropped off a little chef electric smoker model lc-tqp #9800.

I think that the internal temperature gets up to 165, which is what i understand the internal temperature of a brisket when it is finished being cooked.

Is it possible to cook a brisket in a smoker with such a low temperature?

i can't find any manuals for this thing or pictures of it in operation.

It has a little pan with a plastic handle that sits on top of the electric element.

I am assuming that you put the wood chips in the pan.

I am unsure, because it is electric, do you soak the wood chips or not.

With such a low temperature, if it is possible to smoke the brisket, how many hours per pound?

About brining with salt water ... i have used a brine for cooking chicken before. I understand the scientific principle and the results for chicken and turkey are outstanding.

I read that a salt water brine is not that effective with cuts of beef such as brisket. Can anyone enlighten me on this if brining beef is a waste of time?

thanks very much.
wizarddrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you cannot get the temperature up into the range of at least 200F and preferably 225F, I would not do a brisket or any other meat. It is just too low to get it out of the danger zone fast enough.

You can soak a brisket in a brine with some cure in it and get a corned beef, this will retard spoilage, but, you will be better off still with a proper smoker. The food borne pathogens in meat are not to be trifled with.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

finished brisket is usually more around the 200 degree internal.

Unread 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
NorthwestBBQ

No.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Don't waste a good brisket in a electric smoker, do it with wood, 165 is way to low, gotta be around 225 to be safe
quarters69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

i found it online and sure nuff 165*f!!!
i think it is for making jerky, but that might be a little low too.
i would pass on the brisket.

Unread 11-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
swamprb

Default No...but you can use the Little Chief as a Smoke generator....

...and cook the brisket in the oven.

Quote from the Luhr-Jensen Little Chief Home Electric Smoker recipes and Operating instruction manual:

"Please remember that smoke flavoring is NOT a curing process. Your meats must be cooked, refrigerated or frozen immediately after the smoke flavoring."

..so if it is all you have, you can put a small brisket flat(s) in the pre-heated smoker for 2 hours and then wrap in foil and finish it off in the oven. Shorten cooking time by 10%.

Before I got into BBQ'n as an addiction, I had 3 Little Chief smokers, and smoked salmon all the time and played around with jerky, steaks and even smoked a few turkeys and chickens. I wouldn't say it was good at any point, but at the time I just didn't know chit about smoking. I used Alder, because it was the Northwest thing.

I'm down to one Little Chief and it is still my Go-To smoker for Salmon!

You can get Luhr-Jensen instruction manual wherever Little/Big Chiefs are sold or online. Don't be hatin' on the LC's!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote