MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
landshark530
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 1st brisket, 1st high heat attempt

I've been researching several boards trying to get ready for my 1st brisket.
The goal: avoid a shoe leather type substance.
The cooker: a chargriller smokin pro w/ sfb.
mods: exhaust lowered to grate level, charcoal basket from expanded steel, and a heat diffuser.
Attachment 47163

The brisket: an 11lb packer from Walmart. There's a usda label, but no choice or prime marker.

The rub: Just using a restaurant brand from Angelo's on Dallas, rubbed in with olive oil so the spices bloom.

The method: Going to try high heat. I don't have 18 hours to nurse this thing and the Chargriller eats wood like crazy. Going to attempt to keep the temp around 300-325. I've done a flat and a few roasts and they are done in a flash so I know this will get to 160 fast. It went on the smoker at 8am, hoping to have this thing done for dinner.
Attachment 47164

I started with a full basket of sam's choice briquettes minion method and the temps went to 275 and held. Threw in some oak to get the temps into 300-325 range. The brisket hit 165 in just under 3 hours. My next step was to put it in a foil pan and cover it, cook it to 185, then take off the cover and cook to 200 to firm up the bark. I put a rack in the pan to keep the brisket elevated. I did not want a pulled pork type mush. Covered it and it jumped took about an 2 hours to get to 185 ( I thought that was pretty fast, almost too fast).

I took off the foil to finish it and the brisket temps dropped back down to 170. I thought that was odd, but figured the longer it stayed at 170 the more the collegan would breakdown (ie the more tender it would be). It hangs at 170 for another hour. I was not worried because I knew if I foiled it I could get the temps up again.

I kept throwing oak on the fire, along with a few hunks of apple. As long as the brisket was in the right temp range, i didn;t worry too much about keeping the fire at exact temps, I was getting ranges from 275-325.

I foiled it (flipping it to fat side up so it would baste in it's own juice) took it to 190, which took about another hour.

I took off the foil and flipped it back over to fat side down. Got the temps to the higher end and pulled it at 200, again, about another hour.

When it hit 200 I covered it back up and put it in a cooler, sans rack, and let it rest for 2 hours. I had set a 6pm finish time so the rest time was fine. I could have gone longer or maybe a bit shorter.

Pulled it out at 6pm, and breathed a sigh of relief. Very moist and tender, good smoke ring, and the family loved it!
Attachment 47165

When I started the brisket I threw on a fattie also, nothin special, just portobella mushrooms and a bacon wrap.Attachment 47166.

The fattie was done in 90 minutes, and kicked butt.
Attachment 47167

Here's a link to larger pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35451546@N04/

Moral of the story, the brisket temp was more important that the smoker temp. When I added fuel I always saw a spike. I was able to keep the range between 275-350, but tried no to worry about it.

Thanks for all your informative posts, could not have done it without the brothren.

Last edited by landshark530; 10-02-2015 at 02:24 AM..
landshark530 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks and sounds like a great success! In my small offset that is now greatly neglected, I used to always get a similar temp swing like that, a spike after adding fuel and a gradual drop.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looking good, your plan sounds like a good one.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Nice write up

See if you can enlarge the pictures
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
landshark530
Knows what a fatty is.

Default try these

Attachment 47178

Attachment 47179

Attachment 47180

Attachment 47181

Attachment 47182

Last edited by landshark530; 10-02-2015 at 02:24 AM..
landshark530 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Everything looks real yummy.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
landarc

Nice job on the first brisket. You can get temp spikes when you add foil, or when you introduce oxygen to the firebox, I go for an average and work with it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Nice heat diffuser.

Mine is turning the charcoal pan upside down and supporting with bricks, flush with the sfb end of the cooker. Too hard to get hi heat this way and get clean smoke, though.

Saturday, I took the charcoal pan out altogether for a fast split chicken cook and got it to cook REALLY hot with just one chimney of K and added apple splits, but it cooked really UNEVEN as well. The wsm is so much easier, but I do like playing with the CG as well.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
chambersuac

nice job! congrats.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
landshark530
Knows what a fatty is.

I had the heat diffuser made for just a few bucks at the local high school. The metal shop has a cad-controlled plasma cutter. They had it done in 20 minutes.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great looking brisket
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

congrats on your first high heat brisket. It comes out so good.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

looks good, I would put a hurt on all of that!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good!!!!